Princess Cruises announced today that Island Princess will be the fourth cruise ship to feature the Ocean Medallion, a high-tech, virtual concierge designed for enhanced passenger comfort, when she heads to Alaska on May 16, 2018.
According to Carnival Corp. CEO Arnold Donald, the wearable device, powered by a first-of-its-kind interactive technology platform within the One Cruise Experience Access Network (O·C·E·A·N), enables a new level of personalization and delivers an enhanced guest experience not previously available in the global vacation industry. The gadget will debut on Regal Princess on Nov. 13 this year, followed by Royal Princess and Caribbean Princess in early 2018.
The Medallion Class Alaska cruise will set sail on the top-rated "Voyage of the Glaciers" seven-day itinerary between Vancouver and Anchorage (Whittier), with a trip to the state’s best glacial waters, including Glacier Bay National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Medallion Class was created to make cruising more personal, immersive, simple and seamless, according to the cruise line. The Ocean Medallion actually has no discernible technology — no on-off switch, no charging, no menu to navigate — and can be worn as a pendant, on a wristband, in a clip or simply placed in a pocket to reveal enhanced services and personalized experiences without guests having to push a button or take any action. The pre-cruise engagement will allow guests to provide preferences that detail their wants, needs and desires so that their onboard experience can be personalized.
Pairing with the Ocean Medallion is the Ocean Compass, a digital concierge accessible by all guests using interactive displays throughout the ship, on stateroom TVs, via guests’ own smart devices, or through a crew member. For example, guests can find their way to venues around the ship; make reservations at the Lotus Spa, specialty dining restaurants and shore excursions; arrange celebrations; view photographs; learn about the destinations they will visit and activities at each port of call and more. The Ocean Compass will invite guests to experiences based on their individual needs, wants and desires.
Some of the initial service innovations include:
- Ocean Ready: Expedites embarkation as required information is added to the guest profile at home.
- Stateroom Access: The Ocean Medallion will unlock a guest’s stateroom door – replacing the key card.
- Here & Now: Guests can place food & beverage orders and have them delivered to select locations.
- There & Then: Guests can place select food and beverage orders and have it delivered to where they plan to be at a designated time.
- Ocean Navigate: Accessed through the Ocean Compass, guests can learn the whereabouts of their family as they enjoy activities throughout the ship and be guided seamlessly in finding their way around the ship. Friends and family will also be able to easily communicate with each other through a seamless messaging service.
More information about O·C·E·A·N is available at ocean.com.