On a cruise ship
CruiseClout score: 95.0
Sun Princess: Family-friendly classic
Sun Princess has always been a cruise-ship industry pioneer. When she was christened, she set the bar for offering a high percentage of balcony staterooms from which to view the exotic destinations of the world. Today, Sun Princess is the smallest in the Princess Cruises fleet and is touted as offering "big-ship choice and small-ship feel." Based in Australia year-round, sailing mainly from Sydney and Fremantle, the ship has been recently updated to include onboard venues that include The Sanctuary, a serene haven just for adults, and the popular poolside Movies Under the Stars.
Who will like sailing Sun Princess
Cruise passengers wanting a wide choice of shipboard activities, but still that touch of personalized service, will enjoy sailing on Sun Princess. The ship's programs for children and teens also make this a family-friendly cruise.
Where Sun Princess sails
Sun Princess offers a variety of itineraries for passengers traveling to China and Japan, Fiji and the South Pacific, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, Australia, Asia and Africa and Indonesia.
Princess Cruises has pride in the food it serves its passengers, making sure it's always fresh and delicious. For example, bread and pastries are baked fresh three times a day, and sauces are prepared by hand.
From elegant specialty restaurants to themed buffets on deck, the variety of venues is certain to satisfy you no matter the time of day.
Princess offers you the choice of Traditional Dining, Specialty Dining or Casual Dining. Traditional Dining is the classic cruise experience, allowing you to dine at set times with the same table mates and wait staff each evening.
- Sterling Steakhouse: The sophisticated Sterling Steakhouse features premium, cooked-to-order aged beef, along with other steakhouse favorites. Passengers even enjoy the unique option of choosing their own cut from a presentation tray, and watching as the chef cooks their selection. (A modest cover charge will apply.)
- Horizon Court: A wide selection of buffet meals or snacks are offered with floor-to-ceiling windows featuring stunning sea views as a backdrop for your quick breakfast or casual dinner.
- Pub Lunch: Step into the Wheelhouse Bar for a taste of British tradition. You'll find a menu of favorites advertised on chalkboards and displayed on counters for an authentic pub feel including fish and chips or a hearty Ploughman's lunch.
- Afternoon Tea: Indulge in afternoon tea with finger sandwiches, pastries, scones, cookies, music and white-glove service.
- Room Service: The complimentary room-service menu includes sandwiches, salads, a selection of hot dishes and delicacies from the pastry shop; plus, coffee, iced tea and milk are available 24 hours a day.
- Ultimate Balcony Dining: Dine alfresco style, with a multicourse dinner, served on your balcony by a dedicated waitstaff. Or if you prefer, a refreshing breakfast option is available.
- Movies Under the Stars: A Princess original — enjoy feature films, concerts, sporting events and other entertainment on a giant screen poolside.
- Library: This ship is stocked with an extensive library, including contemporary titles in a wide range of categories and books related to specific cruise itineraries. Princess onboard libraries have collections of up to 2,000 books. The Princess Cruises Book Club also offers an opportunity to have fascinating literary discussions with other passengers.
- Production Shows: Princess Signature Shows are featured on every cruise, entertaining passengers with lively music, stunning choreography and some of the largest casts at sea.
- Dancing, Karaoke & Comedy: Move to the rhythm of the disco beat or take a spin in the ballroom. And, for some belly laughs, catch a stand-up comedy act or belt out a song in the karaoke lounge.
- Casino: Games of chance worthy of Las Vegas beckon including blackjack, roulette, craps and slot machines.
Bars & lounges
Evening cocktails in one of the ships cozy lounges or swanky bars is a perfect place to meet up with shipboard friends.
Spa & fitness
The ship's Lotus Spa and fitness center features spa treatments, beauty salon services and the latest in equipment, as well as personal trainers and a variety of different classes throughout the day.
David Martinez / Courtesy of Princess Cruises
- The Sanctuary: Solitude seekers will be able to escape completely to this plush, outdoor spa-inspired setting with signature beverages, light meals, massages, attentive service and relaxing personal entertainment.
- [email protected]: From enrichment lectures to cooking demonstrations, digital photography workshops to wine tasting, [email protected] programs are designed to make learning fun.
- Poolside: Swim, sun and enjoy yourself in one of the many pools. Relax effortlessly underneath a retractable glass dome, on a terrace above the rolling wake or work up a sweat and make some of your own waves in a swim-against-the-current pool.
- Princess Cruises Ultimate Ship Tour: Get an exclusive glimpse at the behind-the-scenes action onboard a Princess ship.
Staterooms are put into different categories based on size and amenities as well as the location on the cruise ship. All staterooms have a bathroom with a shower, terry cloth bathrobes, hairdryers, a phone, refrigerator, satellite TV, multichannel music system, private safes and twin beds that convert to a queen size.
With Princess, young kids and teens have their own kind of fun — and their own place to hang out. The ship's youth and teen centers are staffed with experienced counselors and fully equipped with everything from the latest video games and movies, to arts and crafts, fooseball tables, board games and jukeboxes. And for the littlest ones, activities like kids' karaoke, pizza parties, pajama nights and more are available. Activities run the age-appropriate gamut for those under 18 — from Princess Pelicans (ages three to seven) and Shockwaves (ages eight to 12) to Remix (ages 13 to 17).
Have you sailed the Sun Princess ? Please share a story, tip or discovery. What was the highlight? We would love to hear about your experience — please share!
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
Top highlights on this ship
- Rejuvenating Lotus Spa for ultimate relaxation
- Private balconies on nearly all outside cabins for stunning views
- Ultimate ship tour available to see behind the scenes