He’s the swami of sweets. The master of meringue. The guru of ganache. He is Hans Kiendl, pastry chef of Crystal Symphony. And his delectable creations are served at every meal, daring even the staunchest dieter to have just one bite.
The Germany-born chef, who has been with Crystal almost since the luxury cruise line launched its first ship 25 years ago, is serious about his work. And it shows in his beautifully presented desserts, using the freshest, purest ingredients. “It only tastes good when you use good ingredients,” he says, adding that he doesn’t use alternatives, like corn syrup. And everything is made from scratch.
That’s quite a feat for Kiendl and his staff, who start preparing early in the morning for the day’s meals, which start with the Early Risers Continental Buffet in the Lido Café at 6:30 a.m. Pastries and other baked goods are also served at the full buffet breakfast, as well as in the Crystal Dining Room and The Bistro. After breakfast, his staff supplies sweets for lunch, afternoon tea in the Palm Court, dinner, and late-night snacks in The Bistro. And then, there’s 24-hour room service. “The food operation is the biggest entertainer on board,” he says.
Walter Christen's insight:
Yes, food is a important part of cruising. I was amazed at some of the creations presented here and my mouth watered. Luxury cruise line Crystal Cruises knows how to prepare and present delectable pastries from fresh ingredients.
I especially liked the observation that "The food operation is the biggest entertainer on board."
Hans Kiendl is the pastry chef for the Crystal Symphony cruise ship. Some Crystal facts:
- Cuisine by renowned chefs Nobu Matsuhisa and Piero Selvaggio, included at no extra charge.
- Recently emerged from a two-week, $20 million-plus dry dock redesign
- All-inclusive cruissing that includes specialty restaurants, all beverages and pre-paid gratuities
- Engaging onboard enrichment programs
- Impressive wine cellar including Crystal's exclusive "C" label
- One of the highest space per guest ratios at sea, offering Crystal Cruises' unparalleled service in luxurious comfortable surroundings
- The only Feng Shui-inspired spa at sea