- Get to The Baths early. The crowds get much larger as the day goes on. We booked the first organized excursion of the day and were the first tour group to arrive at the beach.
- Depending on the time of year you sail, be mindful of “ship time” vs. “island time.” There may be a difference, and you don't want to be left behind.
- Wear your bathing suit. You do not want to waste time changing in and out of clothes once you arrive.
- There are restroom facilities at the top of The Baths and at the main beach, but not Devil’s Bay, so plan accordingly.
- Wear water shoes. Guides are positioned around The Baths to help you navigate the slippery and tight quarters, but you will want to ensure you have firm footing.
- Bring a waterproof camera and/or a wearable camera like a GoPro. You're going to want to capture every second of this adventure.
Cruising to The Baths at Virgin Gorda
Cruise ships do not dock directly at the Virgin Gorda. If you want to visit The Baths at Virgin Gorda, the best approach is to look for a cruise going to Tortola, British Virgin Islands (although ferries are also available to Virgin Gorda from the popular cruise port of St. Thomas). A number of contemporary cruise lines visit Tortola, including multiple Norwegian Cruise Line ships, Celebrity Cruises’ Celebrity Summit, Royal Caribbean’s Serenade of the Seas, Windstar Cruises and SeaDream Yacht Club, just to name a few.
Getting to The Baths at Virgin Gorda
During our Norwegian Escape cruise, we booked our shore excursion directly though the cruise line. Almost all cruise lines will offer an organized shore excursion taking you to Virgin Gorda from Tortola. If you prefer to do things at your own pace, it's easy to get to The Baths without a pre-booked excursion. Speedy’s Ferry Service and Smith’s Ferry Service offer regular ferry access to Virgin Gorda, starting at $20 a person, each way from Tortola. The ferry ride is about 30-45 minutes depending on sea conditions. Taxis can be found at the ferry landing and cost about $6 per person one way from Ferry Docks to the Top of the Baths. Total ride time through Spanishtown is about 10 minutes.
Have you been to Virgin Gorda? Do you have any tips to add to mine? Please weigh in, and feel free to disagree!