On a cruise ship
CruiseClout score: 95.0
Veendam: A regal vessel outfitted with fine art & stylish staterooms
Named for the capital of Northern Netherlands' peat colonies, Holland America Cruise Line's Veendam is a regal vessel full of art, fun and plenty of space to relax and take in the beauty of the high seas. Grandly proportioned and recently enhanced, the ms Veendam offers an onboard experience defined by spacious comfort and the latest Signature of Excellence features and amenities. Guests aboard Veendam will not only enjoy elegant dining rooms, a $2 million art and antique collection, wide teak decks and spacious staterooms — many with private verandas, but also new and exciting venues and stateroom options along with a complete update to all stateroom furnishings.
Who will like sailing on Veendam?
There is a good mix of international passengers from Latin America, Asia, Australia and Europe, but the overwhelming majority is North American. Many guests are retired folks, with younger travelers often part of family groups, and the ship's programming is definitely geared to baby boomers and seniors.
Where Holland America's Veendam sails
Quebec, Boston, Amsterdam and the Panama Canal, a few of the many storied ports of call for the ms Veendam. Bermuda, Caribbean, the Eastern Seaboard of U.S., Hawaii, Mexico, Central America and a summer transatlantic crossing round out the annual itinerary.
World-renowned master chefs lead the award-winning culinary staff in providing extensive dining options, including "light & healthy" items, continental and ethnic cuisines, and vegetarian dishes. All are available in a range of dining venues. Dining options include:
- Rotterdam Dining Room: features impeccable service and an extensive wine list. Five-course menus include continental cuisine, vegetarian and low-carb options.
- Pinnacle Grill: This intimate reservations-only venue offers an elegant, sophisticated dining experience. Featuring premium Sterling Silver beef, inspired seafood dishes and many select wines rated "Excellent" by Wine Spectator - as well as distinctive Bvlgari china, Riedel stemware and Frette linens.
- Lido Restaurant: offers a relaxed ambiance for all three meals and features a variety of fresh, cooked-to-order specialties.
- Canaletto: an evening venue for Italian fare adjacent to the Lido Restaurant and offering waiter service.
Choose the blissful pampering of a facial. Let the trained hands of a body worker soothe your muscles while massaging fragrant oils into your skin. Enjoy therapeutic water treatments as you steam in a thermal suite or bathe in exotic herbs. All this while cruising to exotic destinations and enjoying other Holland America's Veendam onboard experience and indulgences. Other onboard activities include:
- Card Room
- Puzzle Room
- Ocean Spa fitness center
- Beauty salon/barber shop
- Massage, sauna and steam rooms
- Jogging track
- Swimming pools
Close your eyes and imagine a floating extravaganza of entertainment. The choices are bountiful, if you're looking for the relaxed scenery of a lounge, you'll find plenty. If you're in the mood for the mingling bar atmosphere, you'll feel at home in the many watering holes on board.
- The Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine Magazine: a state-of-the-art demonstration kitchen offering interactive gourmet cooking lessons taught by Master Chefs or culinary guests.
- Digital Workshop, powered by Windows: offering fun, free learning about digital photography, videos, scrapbooking, blogging and social networking.
- Mix: an innovative meeting place featuring three specialty venues: Champagne, for mid-day mimosas or anytime celebrations; Martinis, for Grey Goose cocktails and martini flights; and Spirits & Ales for microbrews, single malts and sports updates.
- The Retreat: a private resort-style pool experience offering sophisticated poolside amenities and service.
- Explorations Cafe, powered by The New York Times: a comfortable, coffee house environment where you can browse through an extensive library, surf the Internet and check email or simply read the morning paper.
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon: features heavenly beauty and wellness rituals. Enjoy a facial, hot stone massage, steam in a thermal suite and have your hair and nails done for a special evening.
- The Showroom at Sea: glamorous nightclub venue for world class entertainment.
- Crow's Nest: offers sweeping 270 degree views during the day, and a hip, fashionable nightclub each evening.
- Club HAL: the dedicated youth facilities and activities for kids ages 3 - 12; activities are supervised and age appropriate.
- The Loft and The Oasis: designed exclusively for teens (13 - 17) to have fun, socialize and hang out with people their own age.
The Veendam features a penthouse suite and 28 other suites. Each of the 149 suites and deluxe staterooms has a private veranda, a VCR, whirlpool bath and minibar. All staterooms are equipped with sofas, hairdryers, individually controlled air conditioning, telephone with computerized wakeup service, multi-channel music system and closed circuit television.
In each room the beds can convert from one queen size to two singles. In addition, six staterooms are equipped to accommodate physically challenged passengers. Other unique options include:
- Lanai staterooms: offering a private entrance onto the classic teak Promenade Deck.
- Spa staterooms: located close to the luxurious Greenhouse Spa and Salon and offering special spa amenities.
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
How about you? Have you sailed on ms Veendam? What was your take on the art and ambiance? We would love to hear about your experience — please share!
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Top highlights on this ship
- Take an early morning constitutional on the expansive teak deck.
- Experience an essential oil massage, working out all the tension your landlubber life has created.
- Upgraded in 2009, check out the new Lanai saterooms