On a cruise ship
CruiseClout score: 95.0
Noordam: Art, exotic itineraries & posh amenities on Holland America ship
Launched in 2006, ms Noordam is the newest member of Holland America's renowned Vista-class ships. Named for the Northern compass point, she embraces the latest industry and environmental technologies such as her use of a diesel-electric power plant for optimal energy efficiency and an Azipod propulsion system that maximizes maneuverability.
Onboard Noordam you'll discover museum-quality paintings such as an oil painting of the city of Utrecht painted in 1842, as well as contemporary art like the series of photographs of music greats Dizzy Gillespie and BB King. One of the most valuable pieces of furniture onboard the ship is a remarkable inlaid chest flanked by carved wooden 17th-century Baroque columns. Made in Germany in 1885, the chest is inlaid with ebony and precious stones. Enjoy an onboard IPod self-guided tour of the complete Noordam art collection. Noordam exemplifies the classic style of ocean travel with contemporary amenities and modern enhancements.
Who will like sailing on Noordam?
The Vista Class ships, cater to multi-generational travelers, but appeal mostly to Holland America's core demographic of mature, sophisticated, well-traveled couples, the majority of whom have sailed with Holland America before.
Where Holland America's Noordam sails
The Noordam sails in the Caribbean, South & Central America , including the Panama Canal, Alaska, the Pacific Northwest and the US West Coast, as well as Oceania, the South Pacific, Australia and New Zealand. Choose from many types of destinations including the Panama Canal cruise ports of Santa Cruz Huatulco, Puerto Quetzal, Puerto Chiapas and Puerto Caldero in Mexico. Or try a longer cruise in the south seas with destinations of Lautoka, Fiji; Waitangi (Bay of Islands), New Zealand; Milford Sound, New Zealand; and Sydney, Australia.
What better way to enhance your onboard experience than to provide incomparable cuisine in a variety of wonderful ways? Bountiful buffets and dress-up dinners, hors d'oeuvres on your veranda or a picnic on the beach are just a few of the dining options awaiting on your vacation aboard Holland America Line.
- Vista Dining Room: features impeccable service and an extensive wine list. Five-course menus include continental cuisine, vegetarian and low-carb options
- Pinnacle Grill: This intimate reservations-only venue offers an elegant, sophisticated dining experience. Featuring premium Sterling Silver Beef, inspired seafood dishes and many select wines rated "Excellent" by Wine Spectator - as well as distinctive Bvlgari china, Riedel stemware and Frette linens
- Lido Restaurant: offers a relaxed ambiance for all three meals and features a variety of fresh, cooked-to-order specialties
- Canaletto Restaurant: features Italian fare in an intimate dinner setting. The evening begins with the chef’s selection of antipasti, followed by classic Italian dishes such as spaghetti and meatballs and chicken marsala.
Entertainment & activities
- The Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine Magazine: a state-of-the-art demonstration kitchen offering interactive gourmet cooking lessons taught by Master Chefs or culinary guests
- Explorations Cafe, powered by The New York Times: a comfortable, coffee house environment where you can browse through an extensive library, surf the Internet and check email or simply read the morning paper
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon: features heavenly beauty and wellness rituals. Enjoy a facial, hot stone massage, steam in a thermal suite and have your hair and nails done for a special evening
- Vista Show Lounge: features talented vocalists, dancers, illusionists, comedians and variety acts
- Crow's Nest: offers sweeping 270 degree views during the day, and a hip, fashionable nightclub each evening
- Club HAL: the dedicated youth facilities and activities for kids ages three to 12; activities are supervised and age appropriate
- The Loft: designed exclusively for teens (13 - 17) to have fun, socialize and hang out with people their own age
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
Have you been aboard the Noordam? Please share a story, tip or discovery. What was the highlight? Or the best part of your experience?
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Top highlights on this ship
- Varied itineraries including Oceania and the South Pacific as well as the Panama Canal.
- Fine, curated classic and modern art; don't miss the great photography collection.
- Dining options are plentiful and you can even learn to cook or experience state-of-the-art demonstration kitchen offering interactive gourmet cooking lessons taught by Master Chefs or culinary guests