On a cruise ship
CruiseClout score: 95.0
Volendam: A top notch choice for plying the Pacific
The Volendam is a comfortable medium-sized cruise ship with approximately 1,400 passengers and an uncrowded feel.
The beautiful garden theme of ms Volendam is reflected in an artful floral motif throughout the ship's spacious public rooms and elegant staterooms. "Flowers" can be found in abundance in the forms of floral fabrics and tapestries, as well as huge vases of tropical floral arrangements and chrysanthemums.
In addition to fresh flowers throughout the ship, Holland America Line has drawn on its collection of incredible artwork to enhance the interior of the ship's public spaces. Everything from pre-Columbian fetishes and sculptures to Renaissance-era fountains imported from Italy are included in its hallway galleries. At the heart of the ship an elegant sculpture by Luciano Vistosi, inspired by the myriad of moods and colors of a kaleidoscope which greets visitors in a soaring three-story atrium.
Who will like sailing on Volendam?
Volendam has a loyal following and enjoys a particularly high ratio of repeat cruisers. Most of the passengers are boomers or seniors, and while most are couples, there are a fair number of friends sharing quarters.
Where Volendam sails
From Singapore to Sydney to Vancouver, the Volendam traverses the Pacific in style with cruises to Asia, Alaska, Canada, Oceania, South Pacific, Australia and New Zealand.
The Volendam's alternative restaurant will take on the persona of an "artists' bistro," serving Italian fare, including pastas, pizzas, salads and more in a relaxed setting. Its beechwood walls will feature the drawings and etchings -- reproductions and originals -- of artists ranging from the old masters to perhaps a struggling new talent who may have traded artwork for a meal.Other dining venues include:
- Rotterdam Dining Room: features impeccable service and an extensive wine list. Five-course menus include continental cuisine, vegetarian and low-carb options.
- Pinnacle Grill: This intimate reservations-only venue offers an elegant, sophisticated dining experience. Featuring premium Sterling Silver beef, inspired seafood dishes and many select wines rated "Excellent" by Wine Spectator - as well as distinctive Bvlgari china, Riedel stemware and Frette linens.
- Lido Restaurant: offers a relaxed ambiance for all three meals and features a variety of fresh, cooked-to-order specialties.
The basic layout of the public rooms of the new ship will be the same as that of the Rotterdam, including the alternative dining restaurant, a lounge featuring an additional dance floor, and a children's room on Sports Deck that also may be used as a meeting or reception room. The new ship also will feature three staircases for the convenience of passengers, as on board the Rotterdam.
The Casino Bar, in addition to being the ship's sports bar, will feature cinematic memorabilia, including costumes, props, photos and posters of movies and the stars who made them.
The Volendam's main show lounge will feature colorful colonnades against satiny dark wood walls. The decor will hearken back to the Art Deco era, with a design inspired by the famous Tuschinski Theater in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Other onboard activities include:
- The Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine Magazine: a state-of-the-art demonstration kitchen offering interactive gourmet cooking lessons taught by Master Chefs or culinary guests.
- Explorations Cafe, powered by The New York Times: a comfortable, coffee house environment where you can browse through an extensive library, surf the Internet and check email or simply read the morning paper.
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon: features heavenly beauty and wellness rituals. Enjoy a facial, hot stone massage, steam in a thermal suite and have your hair and nails done for a special evening.
- Frans Hals Show Lounge: features talented vocalists, dancers, illusionists, comedians and variety acts.
- Crow's Nest: offers sweeping 270 degree views during the day, and a hip, fashionable nightclub each evening.
- Club HAL: the dedicated youth facilities and activities for kids ages 3 - 12; activities are supervised and age appropriate.
- The Loft and The Oasis: designed exclusively for teens (13 - 17) to have fun, socialize and hang out with people their own age.
The ms Volendam features one penthouse suite, 28 suites, 168 deluxe veranda staterooms, 384 standard outside staterooms and 139 standard inside staterooms. It also has 22 staterooms equipped for the physically challenged that have wheelchair access. There is completely complimentary 24 hour room service, allowing you to get what is on the dining-room menu during dining times to enjoy in the comfort of your own spacious stateroom.
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
How about you? Have you sailed on ms Volendam? Tell us about the flowers. We would love to hear about your experience — please share!
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Top highlights on this ship
- Dutch floral focus is a treasured theme on the Volendam, with artwork, fabric and fresh flowers in abundance throughout the ship.
- Pick a Pacific Ocean voyage and visit such Oceania, ALaska and Down Under!
- Art deco decor delights in the main show lounge!