On a cruise ship
CruiseClout score: 95.0
Prinsendam: Elegant and intimate without the crowds
Designed to explore the remote corners of the world in elegance and style, Holland America's ms Prinsendam is a most intimate ship. Accommodating just 835 passengers, she gives guests the feel of a classic yacht with the spaciousness of a cruise ship. Prinsendam offers many cozy areas in which to find your favorite spot, most of her staterooms feature commanding ocean views and many have private verandas.
A special signature sculpture dominates the three-story atrium featuring etched fish, turtles and dolphins climbing a stunning cylinder of Bolle glass and lit with state-of-the-art fiber optics. Other works of art include a remarkable abstract marble sculpture of a Viking ship by contemporary Norwegian artist Nicholas Widerberg, a series of paintings by impressionist painter Neil Pinkett, and an outstanding collection of Roman Amphorae from 50 - 150 AD. The Prinsendam, or "Princes" ship, is truly a classic ship worthy of her name.
Who will like sailing on Prinsendam?
Prinsendam appeals to well-educated, travel buffs. Passengers primarily hail from North America and the U.K. and are in their late 50's and older. There isn't too much glitz and glamor, but more a treasure trove of intelligent, curious and enthusiastic fellow passengers.
Where Holland America's Prinsendam sails
Sail the world on the Prinsendam and see sights in the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Scandinavia and Northern Europe, South America and feast in style during transatlantic crossings. The Scandinavian/Northern Europe cruise embarks from Ijmuiden (Amsterdam), Hamburg, Warnemunde (Berlin), Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm, Visby and Copenhagen.
If you think you're a chef in training, join the highly skilled chefs as they prepare gourmet meals with expertise and gusto.
- La Fontaine Dining Room: features impeccable service and an extensive wine list. Five-course menus include continental cuisine, vegetarian and low-carb options during dinner. Also open for breakfast and lunch.
- Pinnacle Grill: This intimate reservations-only venue offers an elegant, sophisticated dining experience. Featuring premium Sterling Silver beef, inspired seafood dishes and many select wines rated "Excellent" by Wine Spectator - as well as distinctive Bvlgari china, Riedel stemware and Frette linens.
- Canaletto Restaurant: Named for a famous 18th-century Venetian artist, Canaletto is a fine destination onboard for an intimate Italian dinner. The evening begins with the chefs selection of antipasti with delicious fare to follow and personal, polished service.
- Lido Restaurant: offers a relaxed ambiance for all three meals and features a variety of fresh, cooked-to-order specialties. The Lido Restaurant offers indoor and outdoor seating for breakfast and lunch.
- Java Bar serves specialty coffees.
- There is complimentary 24-hour room service on board.
Entertainment reigns supreme. Whether you're looking for the relaxed lounge ambiance or you're in the mood for the mingling over cocktails, there is a bar or lounge for you.
- Queen's Lounge offers lavish theatrical productions and orchestra
- Crow's Nest is a lively lounge
- Explorer's Lounge is a sophisticated place to meet for cocktails and conversation
- Wajang Theater offers first-run movies
- Neptune Lounge is a place to relax over breakfast pastries with your favorite newspaper or to gather for evening hors d'oeuvres and cocktails in this timeless, genteel setting
- Ocean Bar an intimate bar to meet for a few cocktails
Holland America's Prinsendam offers a regal experience for those who voyage in her company. About 40% of her staterooms feature private verandas. Her roomy public areas are adorned with fine art and antiques. On-board activities include pampering in the spa, gaining new perspectives from an Explorations Speaker Series and enjoying award-winning entertainment and just relaxing in the fresh sea air.
- Deck sports include jogging track and shuffleboard
- Full-service spa has a gymnasium, massage, sauna/steam room and beauty salon
- Boutique for duty free shopping
- Erasmus Library for quiet reading
- Half Moon Card Room for bridge, games and puzzles
- Computer Learning Center with scheduled sessions to broaden your knowledge
- Internet Cafe
- Art Gallery
Staterooms are put into different categories based on size as well as the location on the cruise ship. All staterooms have twin or king beds, TV/VCR (satellite TV where available), fruit basket, telephone, safe, walk-in or large closets, bath with tub or shower, hair dryer and terry robes.
- The Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine Magazine: is a state-of-the-art demonstration kitchen offering interactive gourmet cooking lessons taught by Master Chefs or culinary guests.
- Explorations Cafe, powered by The New York Times: a comfortable, coffee house environment where you can browse through an extensive library, surf the Internet and check email or simply read the morning paper.
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon: features heavenly beauty and wellness rituals. Enjoy a facial, hot stone massage, steam in a thermal suite and have your hair and nails done for a special evening.
- Digital Workshop, powered by Windows: Guests will be able to "show and tell" their vacation memories, learning how to share all their digital memories through email, blogging and social networking - so friends and family can see where they've been cruising even before they return home. Free workshops taught by Microsoft-trained "techsperts" make it easy and fun, even for novices
- Queen's Show Lounge: features talented vocalists, dancers, illusionists, comedians and variety acts.
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
Have you been aboard Prinsendam? Please share a story, tip or discovery. What was the highlight? Or the best part of your experience?
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Top highlights on this ship
- Intimate and spacious, you will find places to be alone and ways to enjoy the luxurious cruise in community.
- The signature sculpture depicting the wonders of the ocean, which is displayed in the three-story atrium.
- 2 outdoor swimming pools, 1 with swim-up bar, and 3 whirlpools