On a cruise ship
CruiseClout score: 95.0
Viking Hild: New ship sails itineraries in Germany, Switzerland
The new Viking Hild from Viking River Cruises, which debuted in March 2017, carries 190 passengers and 50 crew members on 12-day "Paris to the Swiss Alps" cruise vacations.
Like other Viking Longships, the Hild features the Aquavit Terrace, which transforms from an indoor to outdoor dining venue as the weather permits. For dining and entertainment, The Restaurant and Bar are the key go-to public spaces.
Hild represents the line’s latest Longship-class river boat design. Viking Cruises Longships — which now total 48 in all — feature energy-efficient hybrid engine technology, solar panels and an interior design by a top design company in Norway. She launched alongside her twin sister ship, Viking Herja.
Where Viking Hild sails
Viking Hild features 11-night "Paris to the Swiss Alps" itineraries.
Viking Hild offers largely all-inclusive European (Moselle and Rhine) river cruises with a theme of “Paris to the Swiss Alps.” The trip begins in Paris, followed by a flight and embarkation in Trier, Germany, and disembarkation in Basel (Zurich, Switzerland).
- The 12-day long cruise tour itinerary visits 4 different countries, with included hotel stays in Paris and Zurich. The Rhine-Moselle cruises pass ancient castles, vineyards, Trier’s Roman vestiges, Lorelei Rock, and the German cities Cochem, Mainz and Bernkastel, plus visiting Luxembourg City and Strasbourg, France.
- These tour deals are inclusive of an 8-day river cruise, two 2-night hotel stays (Le Meridien Etoile Paris, Zurich Marriott), 10 guided tours, 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners, complimentary drinks (wine, beer, soft beverages with dinner and lunch), complimentary Wi-Fi, visiting 6 UNESCO sites and port charges.
Viking Hild offers 95 cabins that are spaced out on three passenger decks and reflect Viking's trademark Scandinavian style: muted tones, pale woods, functional furnishings.
- 95 comfy outside staterooms (2 Explorer Suites with wraparound verandas providing 270-degree views, 7 Veranda Suites, 39 Veranda Staterooms, French Balcony Staterooms and 25 Standard Staterooms)
- All suites feature two rooms with a veranda off the living room and a French balcony in the bedroom.
Highlights on board
Entertainment includes a library, walking track, putting green, shuffleboard and deck chess. Passengers can make use of Hild's onboard Concierge, complimentary shipwide Wi-Fi and a 24-hour beverage bar.
The ship also provides an array of options for cultural enrichment: Take part in immersive learning and enhancement activities both on board and ashore to complement your shore excursions. Or participate in hands-on demonstrations, cooking classes or local tastings and watch traditional performances by local singers and dancers. Presentations provide a context for your own observations, enhancing your travel experience.
There's no pool, whirlpool, spa, casino or fitness center, but there's an elevator and you'll get plenty of exercise walking during the shore excursions.
Features & amenities
- Sun deck with 360-degree views and shaded sitting area; organic herb garden and solar panels; putting green, and walking track
- Observation Lounge and bar with floor-to-ceiling glass doors
- Restaurant with floor-to-ceiling windows for panoramic views
- Elevator from Middle to Upper Deck only; no elevator access for categories F and E
- Free shipwide wireless Internet service
- Library corner and onboard boutique
- Laundry service
- Ecologically friendly hybrid engines producing less vibrations for a smoother ride
- 40-inch flat-panel Sony TV with infotainment system featuring movies on demand plus CNBC, CNN, National Geographic and more
Viking Hild has two restaurants on board: The Restaurant is the main dining venue, featuring floor-to-ceiling windows for panoramic views, and the Aquavit Terrace offers an innovative indoor/outdoor viewing area at the bow of the ship. Both serve regional specialties and American classics.
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
Interested in a cruise on this ship? Contact a Cruiseable travel advocate at 1-877-322-3773, or by email, to get additional information and to find the best rates and value for your vacation dollar.
Do you plan to sail on Viking Hild? What's the attraction?
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!