On a cruise ship
CruiseClout score: 95.0
Viking Herja: Sail the Rhine to historic landmarks
Viking Herja from Viking River Cruises, which debuted in 2017, carries 190 passengers and 50 crew members along the storied Rhine River in Germany.
Admire the Wachau Valley, a UNESCO World Heritage site, from Viking Herja. Learn to waltz at a tradition-steeped Viennese dance school. Savor Austro-Hungarian cuisine in Vienna and Budapest, and on your ship. Explore lesser-known Central European cities like Český Krumlov and Bratislava. Soak up the soothing steam at a Budapest thermal bath. The 8-day itinerary reveals the highlights of Passau, Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest, while leisurely cruising through spectacular scenery.
Herja represents the line’s latest Longship-class river boat design. Viking Cruises Longships feature energy-efficient hybrid engine technology, solar panels and an interior design by a top design company in Norway. Herja launched alongside her twin sister ship, Viking Hild.
Where Viking Herja sails
Viking Herja sails 7-day itineraries on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel, Switzerland, or the return voyage, with stops in the Black Forest, Strasbourg, Speyer, Marksburg, Koblenz, Cologne and elsewhere.
Viking Herja offers 95 cabins that are spaced out on three passenger decks and reflect Viking's trademark Scandinavian style: muted tones, pale woods, functional furnishings.
- 95 comfy outside staterooms (2 Explorer Suites with wraparound verandas providing 270-degree views, 7 Veranda Suites, 39 Veranda Staterooms, French Balcony Staterooms and 25 Standard Staterooms)
- All suites feature two rooms with a veranda off the living room and a French balcony in the bedroom.
Highlights on board
Entertainment includes a library, walking track, putting green, shuffleboard and deck chess. Passengers can make use of Herja's onboard Concierge, complimentary shipwide Wi-Fi and a 24-hour beverage bar.
The ship also provides an array of options for cultural enrichment: Take part in immersive learning and enhancement activities both on board and ashore to complement your shore excursions. Or participate in hands-on demonstrations, cooking classes or local tastings and watch traditional performances by local singers and dancers. Presentations provide a context for your own observations, enhancing your travel experience.
There's no pool, whirlpool, spa, casino or fitness center, but there's an elevator and you'll get plenty of exercise walking during the shore excursions.
Features & amenities
- Sun deck with 360-degree views and shaded sitting area; organic herb garden and solar panels; putting green, and walking track
- Observation Lounge and bar with floor-to-ceiling glass doors
- Restaurant with floor-to-ceiling windows for panoramic views
- Elevator from Middle to Upper Deck only; no elevator access for categories F and E
- Free shipwide wireless Internet service
- Library corner and onboard boutique
- Laundry service
- Ecologically friendly hybrid engines producing less vibrations for a smoother ride
- 40-inch flat-panel Sony TV with infotainment system featuring movies on demand plus CNBC, CNN, National Geographic and more
Viking Herja has two restaurants on board: The Restaurant is the main dining venue, featuring floor-to-ceiling windows for panoramic views, and the Aquavit Terrace offers an innovative indoor/outdoor viewing area at the bow of the ship. Both serve regional specialties and American classics.
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
Interested in a cruise on this ship? Contact a Cruiseable travel advocate at 1-877-322-3773, or by email, to get additional information and to find the best rates and value for your vacation dollar.
Do you plan to sail on Viking Herja? What's the attraction?
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!