On a cruise ship
CruiseClout score: 95.0
Disney Magic ship overview: Family fun at sea
Disney Cruise Line offers a vacation that everyone in the family thinks is created just for them. On a Disney cruise, parents get the quality time with their kids that they crave. And kids get to have fun with their parents, whether it's swimming or having dinner together...or exploring new destinations.
In late 2013, Disney Magic underwent a renovation and new upgrades to the oldest ship in the fleet were added. Enhancements were inspired by the newer ships Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy, but Magic got her own unique twists. You will see changes in the in the grand atrium lobby where a staircase was removed, a new Marvel kids children’s area, the addition of AquaDunk (a three-story water slide) and revamped dining.
But don't worry, Disney Magic still embodies the classic beauty and grace cruise passengers enjoy, with all the modern luxuries, technology and comforts that make cruising on her a pleasure. It features a distinctive design, signature yellow trim across the stately bow and room to accommodate 2,400 passengers.
Who will like sailing on Disney Magic
Anyone who is a Disney fan will enjoy cruising on this ship. Although mostly geared towards families, the ship features plenty of places for adults to enjoy on their own.
Where Disney Magic sails
Disney Magic offers a diverse number of itineraries in and around North America, Europe and the Caribbean. The ship sails to the Caribbean on three- to seven-night excursions. Plus, it is popular for its 14-night transatlantic cruises and 12-night Mediterranean cruises.
Tour of the Disney Magic
Take a 90-second look at Disney Magic's features and amenities. (And no, those aren't slot machines the kids are playing at the 40-second mark.)
Entertainment & activities
The family-friendly Disney experience awaits guests on board the Disney Magic. Cruise passengers can expect some of the same characters and fun programs offered at the amusement parks that make the Disney brand famous. While there are several children's activities, there are also options for teens and adults to experience the magic on board as well.
Disney Cruise Line understands kids, and there are youth counselors and crew standing by to make sure that young cruisers have fun while staying safe on the ship. The cruise line provides a vast array of clubs, lounges and interactive programs aboard the Disney Magic that you won't find anywhere else. They are specifically designed to make sure your child is enjoying every moment of your cruise vacation.
The kids clubs are open daily and there are age-appropriate activity centers for infants, toddlers, children, tweens and teens.
- Flounder's Reef Nursery is a nursery for young children ages three months to three years.
- Disney's Oceaneer Club, a children's activity center, is the perfect place for kids to dress up as their favorite princess or hero, play computer games and enjoy a wide variety of supervised themed activities throughout the day.
- Disney's Oceaneer Lab has opportunities for both organized and free play for your kids between the ages of three and 11.
- Edge, a tweens-exclusive space for kids ages 11 through 14, is available for those who want to play video games, watch television and participate in arts and crafts.
- Vibe is an indoor lounge and a breezy outdoor deck where teens ages 14 through 17 can watch television, play video games, listen to music, surf the Internet, enjoy fun activities and make new friends.
Fun, games & shows
- Studio Sea is a family entertainment center designed to look like a television studio. This hotspot is where you and your children can sing, dance, play games and enjoy live entertainment together.
Behold Broadway-caliber, song-and-dance spectaculars
- All Aboard: Let the Magic Begin is an approximately 50-minute live show featuring variety acts, musical performances and a cavalcade of Disney characters. It plays on Embarkation Day aboard the Disney Magic in the Walt Disney Theatre on 7-night or longer cruises.
- Buena Vista Theater is an elegant cinema featuring plush seats, a giant movie screen and advanced projection with Dolby sound. The theater screens first-run movies and digital 3-D films.
- Character Greetings are available for children and adults to meet and greet Disney characters, occur throughout the entire fleet of Disney Cruise Line ships, both in designated places and during special surprises appearances.
- Remember the Magic: A Final Farewell is a live show that revisits some of your cruise's most memorable moments, starring a host of variety acts, theater performers and Disney characters from your cruise.
- Twice Charmed is an original twist on the Cinderella story.
- Villains Tonight! is a comedic revue-style live show starring the best of the worst Disney villains.
- Walt Disney Theatre offers lavish live performances as well as first-run and digital 3-D films.
Fancy a dip in the pool or the chance to enjoy a thrilling water coaster ride?
You will find three sparkling pools — one for kids, one for families and one just for adults. And for the kid in all of us, try the new AquaDunk, which is a three-story water slide that sends riders downward when the floor disappears from underneath.
To sweat or not to sweat? There is the option of expending calories at the fitness center and recreational sports courts. But for those less inclined, maybe a treatment at the spa is more your style.
Dining aboard the Disney Magic is sure to satisfy the appetites of your entire family, thanks to fresh, expertly prepared dishes made available 24 hours a day. Featuring diverse menus, distinctly themed restaurants and Disney's innovative rotational dining system where you can enjoy a different restaurant every night of your cruise, Disney Cruise Line invites you to experience the finest dining at sea.
Rotational dining venues (your options at night)
- Animator's Palate serves contemporary Pacific Rim cuisine with an American flair and is open for dinner. Celebrating Disney animation, Animator's Palate includes an innovative dinner show starring your favorite Disney characters.
- Lumiere's is a main dining restaurant that serves contemporary American cuisine for breakfast and lunch in a casual setting, and French-inspired continental cuisine amid a more refined atmosphere for dinner. The restaurant is elegantly themed after the hit Disney movie, "Beauty and the Beast."
- Parrot Cay is inspired by the relaxed feel of the tropics. It boasts classic American fare for breakfast and lunch, and Caribbean island grill house specialties for dinner.
Casual dining options
- Topsider Buffet serves American and international classics. During breakfast and lunch, Topsider Buffet offers the finest in buffet dining; at dinnertime, Topsider Buffet is transformed into a casual yet elegant sit-down restaurant serving Main Dining specialties.
- Goofy's Galley is an outdoor eatery serving breakfast, lunch and evening snacks.
- Pinocchio's Pizzeria is the ticket for quick snacks by the pool.
- Pluto's Dog House is a convenient snack bar that serves classic American fare like hamburgers and chicken for lunch and dinner.
- Preludes serves beverages and snacks during live show performances and movies.
- Room Service is available 24 hours a day, for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.
Something for the grown-ups
- Palo is an adults-only restaurant that serves Northern Italian cuisine for dinner. Additionally, brunch is offered on select cruises.
Lounges & nightlife
Spend the evening at one of the uniquely themed spaces where children and adults can listen to live music, dance and participate in games and activities.
- Cove Cafe is an adults-only lounge where you can enjoy beverages and snacks while perusing a magazine, watching television or surfing the Internet.
- Diversions is a sports pub and lounge where families can take part in fun-filled activities or watch a televised sporting event during the day, while adults can sing karaoke or enjoy a cocktail at night.
- Promenade Lounge is an elegant Art Deco venue for families to enjoy a refreshing beverage or snack, surf the Internet or partake in fun activities that occur throughout the day.
- Rockin' Bar D is a roadside-themed club celebrating all styles of music amidst a fun, rowdy atmosphere. During the day, guests of all ages can partake in a number of fun-filled games and activities, while at night, adults are invited to listen to live music, dance or sing karaoke.
- Sessions is a romantic nighttime spot in an attractive Art Deco venue where adults can listen to live music, savor the flavor of a mixed drink and unwind.
- Signals is an adults-only bar for guests 21 years of age or older.
There is ample space for you and your family. The whimsical nautical decor with small Disney touches are nice. Most cabins boast split bathrooms — a feature perfect for families.
How about you? Have you sailed on Disney Magic? We'd love to hear about your experience or see your photos!
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
Top highlights on this ship
- Staterooms roomy enough for a family
- Organized age-specific activities
- Youth staff
- Family-friendly entertainment
- Enjoy Disney-themed kids clubs, areas and immersive interactive programs and activities