Navigator of the Seas
Elk Grove, CA
Navigator of the Seas: Nonstop entertainment at sea
As the fourth ship in Royal Caribbean’s Voyager Class, the 3,114-passenger Navigator of the Seas has plenty to offer. Refurbished in 2019, the ship features the longest waterslide at sea, a revamped pool area, new nightlife venues and updated dining options. The best way to enjoy this ship is to take advantage of the amenities. Whether you like to spend your free time exercising, ice skating, attending an art auction, sitting poolside, climbing a rock wall, relaxing in the spa or people watching on the Promenade, there are plenty activities to choose from each day on the ship.
Navigator of the Seas is the first Royal Caribbean ship to sail out of California in 10 years.
Who will like sailing on Navigator of the Seas
Passengers looking for nonstop entertainment and activities will find a lot to choose from. For a ship of this size, you'll rarely feel overly crowded, and Navigator sports some of Royal Caribbean's most economical fares.
Where Navigator of the Seas sails
Home port: Los Angeles (Long Beach)
Two minutes on Navigator of the Seas
Where I went & what I liked
I took Navigator of the Seas on a western Mediterranean cruise in September 2016. We loved the shore excursions as much as any of the fun activities on the ship. Highlights included a street artist performing a flamenco dance followed by an afternoon treat of oysters from a street vendor at Plaza de la Catedral and a visit to Catedral Nueva in Cadiz, Spain. A bistro lunch on a balcony patio with hours of shopping and sightseeing — with blue skies and Moorish architecture — in Malaga, Spain. Afternoons kicking around in Barcelona and Valencia, Spain. And a great gelato in St. Peter's Square in Vatican City.
Top dining options
Sharing a ship with 3,000 other people, you might think that you'll have to endure long lines at every meal. But that's not the case. With a main dining room, “My Time” dining, several restaurants to choose from, a cafeteria-style dining center and bistro café open 24 hours a day, there is always someplace and something to eat. Choices include:
- Main Dining Room: The 3-deck space features complimentary, multi-course dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- More complimentary options including Windjammer Cafe and Cafe Promenade for coffee and pastries/snacks
- Giovanni's Table: an Italian restaurant that serves up portions family-style
- Chops Grille: a steakhouse that requires one low cover charge
- Johnny Rockets: a ‘50s-style diner that features servers who double as entertainers, and is an additional cost
- Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream: offers a variety of ice cream flavors and toppings for an additional charge
- Sabor: a trendy Mexican restaurant that serves up guacamole, made at your table
- Izumi: Japanese cuisine, featuring a la carte sushi selections
- Room service: Late-night service charge applies to room service orders between midnight and 5 am.
Entertainment & shopping
Looking to burn off some calories at the end of the day? You can hit the disco, which spins music until the last dancer leaves the floor. If you want to be entertained, then you can take in an ice skating show, watch or take part in a nightly karaoke contest, go to the nightly headliner show or kick back in the Schooner Bar and sing along with the Piano Man.
- Complimentary Broadway-style entertainment in the Main Theater
- Complimentary ice-skating shows in Studio B
- R Bar, featuring a sophisticated 1960s vibe, complete with iconic furnishing and signature cocktails created by a savvy mixologist
- 9,623-square-foot, Vegas-style Casino Royale with 292 slots and 17 tables
- 15 bars, clubs and lounges that never have a cover and include Boleros Latin-themed lounge and Two Poets Pub
- Variety of name-brand, duty-free shopping on the Royal Promenade, including jewelry, perfumes, apparel and shopping for teens and kids
Families & age ranges
While there is a Family Zone, video arcade and daycare on board, this cruise was not geared toward children. The guests ranged in age from 6 months to mid-80s, with the majority being between 55 and 65 years of age. Available family activities included:
- Complimentary Adventure Ocean Youth Program
- Royal Babies and Royal Tots program
- Teen lounge areas and disco
- Family-friendly activities including games, contests, enrichment classes and lectures
With such a diverse group on board, it’s hard to see how the crew is able to meet the needs of so many of their guests, but they do. By the end of our 14-day Mediterranean cruise, it was surprising how familiar the crew members became with our habits and preferences. They pride themselves on knowing the likes and dislikes of their “regulars.” They also won’t hesitate to help you find the perfect place to celebrate that special event.
Rest & relaxation
- Vitality Spa with 100-plus treatments, including MediSpa treatments and acupuncture
- Four pools including the Solarium, an adults-only retreat
- Six whirlpools
- State-of-the-art fitness center, with classes like yoga and tai chi
Action & adventure
- Rock-climbing wall
- Ice-skating rink
- Mini-golf course
- Basketball court
- Jogging and in-line skating tracks
Were there some missteps? Absolutely. There was a distinct bathroom odor in the hallway outside of our cabin for the final three days. The headlining entertainment each night was geared more toward the British guests. I recall hearing many of the North American guests grumble about not “getting” the humor. All of that, aside, the cruise delivered as advertised, and I feel confident just about everyone left happy.
Updated from an earlier post. Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
For pricing, itinerary information and to reserve your spot on Navigator of the Seas, contact a Cruiseable travel consultant by email or call 1-877-322-3773.
Top highlights on this ship
- Duty-free shopping on the Royal Promenade
- Recreational facilities such as the ice-skating rink and rock-climbing wall
- More than 100 treatments at Vitality Spa
- Solarium pool, an adults-only retreat
- Guacamole made right at your table at Sabor Mexican restaurant