Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Norwegian Getaway: Escape to the tropics on this head-turning ship
Norwegian Getaway joined the Norwegian Cruise Line fleet as the second Breakaway class vessel in early 2014. The ship has capacity for 4,000 passengers (double occupancy) and a total of 1,024 staterooms and 238 suites. The striking mural of a mermaid on the hull of the ship? Created by Miami-based Cuban-American artist David Le Batard.
Norwegian Getaway offers a huge selection of onboard features and facilities — you'll be lucky if you can experience everything this state-of-the-art ship has to offer in just one cruise! Onboard you'll find a small bowling alley, Carlo’s Bakery, more than 20 dining options, an Aquapark and waterslides, outdoor nightclub, the stunning Illusionarium, spa and private Haven, and a TV screen that is the height of two decks! It really is quite impressive and located in a space perfect for enjoying an afternoon coffee or quick surf on the Internet.
Who will like sailing on Norwegian Getaway
Just about anyone who doesn't mind a large ship will like sailing aboard Norwegian Getaway. She is fun, modern and especially inviting for families with children.
Getaway is an ideal choice if you want to have your vacation your way: There are no fixed dining times, no strict dress codes and you have the freedom to do as much or as little as you like.
If you want your time aboard to be as exciting as your time ashore then I would highly recommend Norwegian Getaway or her sister Norwegian Breakaway. I was impressed with her during my short time on board and I have to say that the food was superb – I definitely recommend you try Cagney’s Steakhouse.
Where Norwegian Getaway sails
Home port: Miami
Destinations: Norwegian Getaway sails wide-ranging itineraries: 5- to 9-night sailings to the Caribbean, Bahamas and Bermuda out of Miami and New York, voyages throughout the Mediterranean and trips to Britain and Northern Europe.
There are so many dining options available aboard Norwegian Getaway, there really is something for everyone’s tastebuds. Check out Cagney’s — the filet mignon I had was superb! Another venue to try is O’Sheehan’s, I had a great breakfast in there and the mozzarella dippers were tasty.
Top options include:
- Savor: Balancing classic favorites with hot new dishes, dining at Savor is a must. Offering guests an extensive menu of deliciously fresh flavors along with chic and modern decor, dining at Savor is a stylish affair.
- Taste: Serving a wide variety of culinary delights to please every palate, Taste also offers a fashionable and contemporary atmosphere. Plus, with a menu that changes daily, Chef's Signature Dishes and carefully selected wine recommendations, you'll experience a different culinary adventure with every visit.
- Tropicana Room: The Tropicana Room will make you feel as if you’re dining in a retro supper club. Inspired by the glamorous Miami Beach nightlife of the 1940s and 1950s, guests can dance in style while enjoying specially curated modern and classic dishes made with the freshest ingredients. Add sizzling performances of Burn the Floor, and you have a recipe for a spectacular evening.
- Flamingo Bar & Grill: Pull up a stool and enjoy your favorite frozen drink or enjoy a quick bite of your favorites at Flamingo Bar & Grill.
- Garden Café: Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, Garden Café goes beyond a traditional buffet. With floor-to-ceiling windows featuring breathtaking ocean views, this complimentary indoor restaurant offers everything you could possibly imagine. In addition to a variety of delicious entrées and side dishes, you’ll find action stations featuring made-to-order omelets and waffles, an Italian pasta station, a carving station with freshly prepared meats sliced to your liking, grilled specialties, ethnic favorites and a dessert area.
- Haven Restaurant: A private fine-dining experience for guests of The Haven, serving unique signature dishes and a wide selection of wines.
- O'Sheehan's: Dine on American classics in a relaxed Irish pub atmosphere. From Chicken Pot Pie to Fish n’ Chips to dinner specials such as Prime Rib, Lobster & Shrimp and all-you-can-eat ribs, O’Sheehan’s has all your favorite comfort food and beer on tap 24 hours a day. So catch a game on the two-story TV screen or play some billiards or darts, this casual restaurant is a guest favorite – and it’s complimentary.
Other dining options
This is a big ship so I didn't get a chance to sample every dining venue. Some other options to consider:
- Le Bistro: If you've always dreamed of dining at a sidewalk cafe in Paris, Le Bistro comes close. Getaway's new seating option, Atrium Al Fresco, is reminiscent of sidewalk-style dining accompanied by a three-story cascading LED chandelier and the constant flow of people as you dine on classic French fare.
- Ocean Blue: Renowned chef and Food Network star Geoffrey Zakarian's new elegant seafood dining experience focuses on premium ingredients and expert culinary techniques.
- Moderno Churasscaria: Norwegian was first to bring this dining concept to sea, and now they've taken it a step further with outdoor seating at their signature Brazilian-style steakhouse featuring grilled and slow-roasted meats carved right at your table.
- Teppanyaki: Dinner and a show, complete with flying shrimp and the unmistakable ting-ting-tinging sound of chef knives, can only be found at Teppanyaki. Admire the contemporary Asian decor and the chefs before you, preparing authentic Japanese cuisine on the oversized Hibachi grills.
- Wasabi Sushi Bar: A traditional sushi bar complete with a Yakitori grill, Wasabi serves up a varied selection of popular sushi, sashimi and rolled favorites. In addition to your artfully prepared meal, you'll find a unique contemporary decor that includes authentic calligraphy-lined walls and digital aquarium visuals that are displayed on an in-wall plasma screen. Sake fan? Check out the Sake menu for a carafe. This dining option is priced a la carte.
- La Cucina: The menu at La Cucina's is casual, family-style Italian and the ambience recalls Tuscany, complete with lanterns, timbers and stonework.
There is no shortage of venues, shows, and activities on Norwegian Getaway. 678 Ocean Place offers three connecting decks of daytime and nighttime entertainment consisting of bars, nightlife, shopping and dining spots including Broadway shows "Legally Blonde," "Burn The Floor" and "Grammy Experience," which also extends out onto the open deck, jazz and blues club and a dueling piano bar.
The Illusionarium is also something not to be missed! One of the best entertainment experiences at sea, it also comes with a three-course meal. There's an additional charge but it is worth every single cent – don’t miss it!
On board you'll also find:
- Ice Bar
- Mojito Bar
- Tradewinds Shop
- Humidor Cigar Lounge
- Sunset Bar
- Carlo’s Bake Shop
- Fitness Center
- Kids AquaPark
- Market Place
- Waves Pool & Bar
- Garden Café
- Haven Courtyard
- Video Arcade
- Dedicated Kids Clubs
- Vibe Beach Club
- Spa and Barber Shop
Norwegian Getaway is most certainly a family-friendly ship and she is ideal for those with children of all ages. The kids will enjoy plunging waterslides, a two-story Wii Wall and special recreational programs that include supervision. Choose from a variety of family-friendly accommodations that include interconnecting staterooms and multi-room suites and villas.
There are youth programs in place for kids ages 3-17 years, a family spa, dedicated children’s areas including pools, a water park and even family dining options.
- Kids Aqua Park: Splash the day away with SpongeBob SquarePants and friends in a pirate-themed environment. These life-size sculptures in the shallow pool are perfect for family fun — and family pictures.
- Aqua Park: Seventeen decks above the sea, feel the wind in your hair, sun on your face, ocean views all around and the excitement of over-the-top water parks. With five multi-story waterslides, two swimming pools and four hot tubs — there's more water than ever before. Take the plunge on the fastest water slide at sea - Free Fall - one of two drop-slides that drop you at 4Gs. Feel the rush of The Whip, two racing, side-by-side twister slides that are wet and wild. Or try the fun family slide, if that's more your speed. Slide in. Get soaked. Or take a break from the action and relax in a lounger alongside the pool. Life is good at the top and overflowing with excitement.
- Entourage:Teenagers 13-17 have their own hip space to hang out. By day, it's the coolest clubhouse by sea. By night it turns into a dance club party. Add fashion and theatre workshops, themed events, pool parties and more. It's all complementary, and it's all supervised by Getaway's certified youth staff.
- Casino: Test your luck in one of the largest casinos at sea or play favorites like blackjack, craps, roulette, Texas Hold 'Em and poker. With all your favorite table games and slots, it's easy to see why Norwegian has been rated the "Best Cruise Line Casino" of any cruise line for ten years running by the readers of Casino Player magazine and "Best Cruise Line Casino" by Porthole magazine.
- Three-story Sports Complex: Bring your workout gear and some solid sneakers and get ready for three stories of action-packed activities in the fresh ocean air. Challenge yourself in the largest ropes course at sea, where you can conquer more than 40 elements as you masterfully maneuver through this multi-level structure. For the ultimate thrill, take a walk on The Plank, which extends 8 feet over the side of the ship.
- Sports facilities: Want to be a rock star? Try your skills on the rock-climbing wall. And, get tangled up in the Spider Web, a 24-foot enclosed climbing cage complete with a spiral slide. If traditional sports are more your game, play a round of 9 holes on the ocean-themed, mini golf course with obstacles for all skill levels. Or join a pick-up game on the basketball court, where you can breathe in the ocean air and polish your three-pointers.
Bars & lounges
- Bar 21: Steps away from all the exciting action at Casinos At Sea, you'll find the bustling and intimate Bar 21. So order your favorite cocktail, while listening to the sounds of slot machines ringing and guests cheering.
- Bliss Ultra Lounge: Go clubbing till the wee hours at Bliss Ultra Lounge. From the moment you walk through the lit tunnel and start hearing the music pumping, you'll feel the energy. Check out the glowing walls and bar that illuminate to the intensifying beats.
- Sunset Bar: Kick back and grab a manly drink in a setting inspired by Ernest Hemingway's Key West, including vintage photos of sport fishing and Papa Hemingway on the walls.
- Spice H2O: Inspired by the renowned summer beach parties on Spain's island of Ibiza, Spice H20 is an adult-only escape with contemporary Asian influences located aft on deck 15. By day, lounge beside hot tubs and a soothing waterfall; by night, dance beneath the stars as vibrant images display on the huge video screen. Spice H20 also offers snacks and appetizers.
- Cafe & Bar at the Atrium: Take a break from the hustle and bustle at the Cafe/Bar in The Atrium. Linger with your favorite cocktail or enjoy a steamed cappuccino in this grand space that offers spectacular three-deck vertical views.
- Mixx Bar: Cocktails and conversations are always swirling at this hip modern bar. Meet up for drinks with friends before dinner or swing by after to listen to some live piano.
- Prime Meridian Bar: At the heart of 678 Ocean Place, between Cagney's Steakhouse and Moderno Churrascaria, is where you'll find Prime Meridian Bar. Whether you're in the mood for a drink or meeting new people, Prime Meridian is worth checking out.
- Shaker's Cocktail Bar: Join the martini crowd for some cosmopolitan ambiance or try the latest modern concoction made to your liking.
- Vibe Beach Club: In the mood for a private retreat where you can connect with the ocean — and disconnect from everything else? Exclusively for those 18 and over, Vibe Beach Club comes with ocean views, an oversized whirlpool, chaise loungers and a soothing water feature. A full-service bar, water spritzers, chilled towels and skewers of fruit ease you even more into serenity. A limited number of passes will be available for purchase.
- The Haven for the luxury-minded, featuring private quarters at the top of the ship and 24-hour butler service
- Mini-Suite rooms, spacious with nice private views
- Spa room providing easy access to the Spa and Fitness Center
- Balcony staterooms with floor-to-ceiling glass doors and a private balcony
- Oceanview staterooms
- Inside staterooms
- Studio rooms ideal for solo travelers
In fact, that's worth underscoring. Getaway features 59 studio cabins dedicated to solo travelers, each with a large window facing the corridor with one-way glass (outward, not inward, thankfully!), more than any other cruise ship I know about. (You know of any ships with more?)
Danielle Fear sailed on Norwegian Getaway as part of a contingent of journalists and bloggers who were guests of Norwegian Cruise Line. See Cruiseable's Ethics & Disclosure policy.
Updated from an earlier review.
Have you sailed on Norwegian Getaway? Please share a story, tip or discovery. What was the highlight for you? I'd love to know!
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
Interested in a cruise on this ship? Contact a Cruiseable travel advocate at 1-877-322-3773, or by email, to get additional information and to find the best rates and value for your vacation dollar.
Top highlights on this ship
- 28 dining options that include Freestyle dining and alternative venues
- Watch Illusionarium, a surreal magical experience and seven-time Tony Award-nominated musical Legally Blonde
- Five water slides.
- Three levels of action-packed activities in the sports complex.
- 2014 Bon Voyage Magazine Editor's Choice- "Best New Ship"
- Hunker down with some popcorn and enjoy the TV screen that is the height of two decks!
Top dining options on board
“Her terrific facilities for children — such as the exciting Aqua Park rides, multiple swimming pools, a double-deck Splash Academy for the young ones, and Entourage for the teen set — should draw families in droves, especially during the summer and winter holidays.”
“With Latin music and cuisine, murals of Florida landmarks, and parties made to rival anything on South Beach, Norwegian Getaway is Miami cool brought to sea.”