On a cruise ship
Norwegian Gem: Casual, fun cruising at its best
While it's true that most cruise ships have a little something for everyone, Norwegian Cruise Line's Norwegian Gem takes that concept to a whole new level. Passengers can choose from activities such as rock climbing and shuffleboard or relax poolside or with a hot-stone massage.
Norwegian Gem operates with the cruise line's popular Freestyle dining concept, extending the numerous choices to the dining rooms and restaurants. Casual cruising also comes with exciting entertainment as passengers are greeted in the main atrium with blaring beats spun by a DJ whose shiny red turntable is both flashy and fun. The ability to shift between active and restful, party and calm, at a moment's notice is required on the Norwegian Gem.
Where Norwegian Gem sails
- Bali Hai Bar & Grill: A hot air balloon theme where the bar itself is styled as a ballooning basket with sandbags, ropes and a rattan front.
- Blue Lagoon: A 24-hour food court-style eatery featuring everything from hamburgers to fast-wok dishes.
- Cagney's Steakhouse: An upscale traditional American steakhouse of the 1930s.
- Garden Cafe/Kid's Café: Made-to-order action stations, always-changing menu options, a fresh salad bar and a dessert bar make this way more than a traditional buffet. There's also a cute-as-can-be cafe for littler eaters with kid-favorite options.
- Grand Pacific Main Dining Room: A grand dining room inspired by the first-class dining rooms from the Matson Liner ships that sailed from San Francisco to Honolulu. Artwork around the room is inspired by the exceptional menu covers from the Matson Line.
- Great Outdoors: A spacious outdoor buffet with many choices that will surely keep you coming back for more.
- La Cucina Italian Restaurant: Casual Italian eatery reflecting a village Trattoria or traditional farmhouse kitchen.
- Le Bistro French Restaurant: Ornate French restaurant inspired by the colors, planting and artwork of the Pacific Islands.
- Magenta Main Dining Room: Contemporary inspired artwork (some back lit) with decorative walls subtly changing colors.
- Moderno Churrascaria: As the succulent skewers of barbequed meats are carved tableside, you control how much you want with the Moderno green and red chip. Green for go and the carving continues or red to stop. Also, enjoy a wide selection of prepared salads, sliced meats and traditional accompanying dishes.
- Pizza 24/7: The ocean's very first pizza delivery service is offered 24 hours a day aboard Norwegian Gem.
- Room Service: A full menu can be prepared and brought to your stateroom. Room Service is available 24 hours a day; however, there will be a delivery charge from midnight to 5 am.
- Sushi: You can enjoy the very best sushi and sashimi expertly prepared as you watch.
- Orchid Garden Asian Restaurant: A Japanese/Thai/Chinese restaurant complex.
- Teppanyaki: Authentic teppanyaki room.
- Gem Club Casino: Full casino featuring a circus theme reflecting bold and brash colors of traditional traveling circuses at the turn of the century.
- Stardust Theater: Enjoy Broadway and Vegas-style shows.
- The Leopard Lounge: This is a cool place where teens can have fun, too.
- Video Arcade: Stop by the video arcade and capture a few aliens, win a car race, play pinball and fly a jet fighter.
- Colors: Enjoy a fantastic kaleidoscope of music, dance and special effects drawn from the artful blend of color, fabric sculptures and light.
- Comedy Variety: From standup comedy to unicycle-riding jugglers, you're invited for an evening of laughter in the Stardust Theater.
- Get Down Tonight: The Norwegian Gem Production Cast takes you on a trip through time to re-live your favorite memories and music of the 1970s. Rock-out with music from acts like Earth, Wind & Fire, The Who and many more featuring music by the Norwegian Gem Showband.
- Magicians: How'd they do that? We may never know but it sure is fun to witness things appearing and disappearing right before your eyes. Add a dash of comedy and you've got one magical evening.
- Presumed Murdered Luncheon: The Second City has teamed up with best-selling crime novelist Scott Turow to create a hilarious who-done-it called Presumed Murdered. You are immediately brought into the action to find the killer and bring them to justice.
- The Second City: Chicago's legendary comedy theater, The Second City, celebrates its 50th anniversary aboard Norwegian Epic with a hilarious revue of sketches, songs and improvisation. Watch the brightest young comic talent in North America puts its comic spin on current events and life on the cruise ship.
- White Hot Party: Don your white attire and get to the pool deck for the most invigorating, black light glowing, electrifying party beneath the stars. Dance with the white-winged angels and be sure to get a souvenir t-shirt.
- World Beat: A musical voyage around the world! Feel the percussive beats of Irish tap dancing, the soulful cadences of New York City street stomps, the haunting drums of Africa and the dramatic Kodo rhythms of Asia.
Bars & lounges
- Bliss Ultra Lounge & Night Club: A lounge inspired by all things spherical and out of space. Bubbles, the use of lighting, color and ultraviolet artworks will be throughout this room. Features the industry's first bowling alley and also is equipped with plasma TVs.
- Gem Club Casino Bar: Full bar within the Gem Club Casino.
- Great Outdoors Bar: Enjoy wine, beer and a full selection of cocktails at this covered outdoor bar.
- Magnum's Champagne & Wine Bar: Inspired by the Art Nouveau era using Charles Rennie Mackintosh's design elements and colors.
- Maltings Beer & Whiskey Bar: Contemporary bar area with a backdrop reflecting the production of beer.
- Moderno Bar: Sit back and enjoy your favorite drink at the Moderno Bar.
- Sake Bar: Full Sake Bar within the Orchid Garden Restaurant.
- Shakers Martini & Cocktail Bar: Art Deco-inspired with a large screen behind the bar depicting James Bond inspired graphic silhouettes of funky images from the 60s & 70s.
- Spinnaker Lounge: Horizontal windows in the floor allow views of the bridge. The stage can also be used as a dance floor.
- Star Bar: Themed around a gangster called Cagney who lived through and during the roaring 20s in America.
- Topsiders Bar & Grill: Pool bar & grill.
- Bliss Lounge: Dance like nobody's watching, even though everybody is. With a celebrity DJ spinning tunes till the wee hours, you can tear it up. Take a breather in a Bliss bed to recharge. The party's here and you don't have a curfew.
Spa & fitness
- Basketball/Volleyball/Tennis Court: Shoot hoops, join a pick up game, or play tennis at the enclosed, outdoor basketball/volleyball/tennis court.
- Body Waves Fitness Center: There are numerous ways to stay in shape while on board. The Body Waves Fitness Center is open from 6 am to 11 pm with a full gym and aerobics/fitness classes daily.
- Hot Tubs: There are six hot tubs conveniently located throughout the ship. Try them all out or pick your favorite and make relaxing and unwinding a part of your daily regimen.
- Jogging/Walking Track: Run circles around the other guests or get in your daily walk while you're at sea.
- Mandara Spa: Full-service spa and beauty salon featuring a full array of spa treatments.
- Art Gallery: Stroll through Norwegian Gem's Art Gallery of original works for sale by a wide range of well-known artists.
- Card Room/Life Style Room: Looking for a quiet place to write postcards, play cards or read a book? This is the place.
- Corona Cigar Club: Step into the world of rolled premium cigars, cognacs and spirits at the Cigar Club. This is one place where it is completely acceptable to light up in public.
- Kid's Pool: The kid's pool is just right for pint-size splashing, playing and paddling. The pool also has additional fun features.
- The Library: You'll find a well-stocked selection of things to read with all the elegant trimmings a good library deserves including a stellar view.
Staterooms are put into different categories based on size and amenities as well as the location on the cruise ship.
All staterooms have two lower beds or one double bed, TV, mini-safe, duvet, and bathroom with shower and hairdryer. Most oceanview staterooms have a refrigerator. Lower beds in some staterooms cannot be pushed together.
How about you? Have you sailed on Norwegian Gem? We'd like to hear about your experience!
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
If you're interested in a cruise on Norwegian Gem, contact a Cruiseable travel advocate at 1-877-322-3773 or by email. We can usually offer a better deal than you can get by contacting the cruise line directly.
Top highlights on this ship
- A variety of great dining options, including the hot air balloon-themed Bali Hai Bar & Grill
- Comedy Variety in the Stardust Theater
- Celebrity DJ spinning tunes at the Bliss Lounge