On a cruise ship
CruiseClout score: 95.0
MSC Fantasia: Find your joie de vivre on board
MSC Fantasia is the largest cruise ship ever built for a European ship owner. Greater in length than the height of the Eiffel Tower, she has 1,637 staterooms, 80% ocean view, many with private balconies. The flagship from MSC Cruises it features advanced technology, elegant furnishings and exclusive services. Built with the environment in mind, the MSC Fantasia cruise liner is constructed in a modern eco-friendly spirit.
For the very first time on a ship, guests will walk on Swarovski crystal stairs. A transparent ceiling allows passengers to experience all the magic of sailing as they gaze at the starlit skies. The 290,628 square feet of public space includes the luxury MSC Aurea Spa with a thermal cave for relaxation and rejuvenation, six restaurants, five swimming pools, 12 hydro-massage pools, coffee bars, shops, and a children and teen area that includes a swimming pool with a waterslide. The Aqua Park features 150 illuminated musical fountains, a Formula 1 simulator and an interactive 4-D cinema.
Who will like sailing on MSC Fantasia?
In North America, MSC Cruises is mostly known in for its hybrid Italian-American-style cruises to the Caribbean. MSC is reaching out to North American cruisers and is known as one of Europe's leading cruise lines, particularly popular with Italians, French, Spanish and Germans. An effort to expand facilities and publish and announce in English is clearly targeting Canadians and Americans more and more.
It's important to note, that MSC's style is definitely European. English-speaking travelers who love European service and cuisine will find the ship delightful. Those who prefer a more traditional experience — in service, food and activities — may not be keen to cruise on Fantasia.
Where MSC Fantasia sails
Destinations: MSC Fantasia cruises the Mediterranean and the Canary Islands and Madeira.
- Red Velvet Restaurant. Distinguished by the attention paid to the details of its furnishings, from red velvet cushions to Murano glass chandeliers, refined porcelain to crystal glasses and silver flatware. Every evening, Red Velvet offers a different menu to celebrate an Italian region with its typical cuisine and most renowned wines.
- Il Cerchio d'Oro Restaurant. On the ship's stern, features a breathtaking panorama which inspired the theme of transparency and light used in the restaurant design. This restaurant offers an assorted Mediterranean menu, including light choices and options that are always available for those days you want to eat less.
- L'Etoile Restaurant. This private restaurant at the exclusive service of MSC Yacht Club members, provides guests with a gourmet dining experience principally inspired by the Italian and French culinary traditions. Refined ingredients such as foie gras, truffles and scallops combine with delicacies such as quail eggs, guinea fowl and pigeon breast to create dishes that are both sophisticated and minimalistic. The restaurant offers a connoisseur wine list of some 50 superb Italian, French and Spanish wines. With the assistance of the expert Head Wine Waiter who is always in attendance, MSC Yacht Club guests can choose the ideal accompaniment to the chef's creations, exploring some of the finest wines in the world.
- Tex Mex El Sombrero Restaurant.For lovers of spicy food, Tex Mex El Sombrero is the right choice. Sample all the tastes of Mexican cuisine: from Texas steaks to enchiladas, fajitas to burritos and tacos, guacamole to tortillas, all accompanied by Mexican beer, Tequila and Margaritas. The full-view kitchen completes the traditional atmosphere of this restaurant.
Bars & lounges
- La Cantina Toscana. True connoisseurs can find the most renowned Italian wines at La Cantina Toscana, a wine bar inspired by the peaceful Tuscany hills and Chianti vineyards. Every day, special wine tastings are accompanied by tasty morsels, such as fried polenta with cream cheese, bruschetta and other specialties.
- Sports Bar. A sports-inspired menu, featuring international dishes and imaginative snacks, such as grilled Yorkshire ham delicacies or Greek shrimp kebabs. It also serves a wide selection of the most popular international long drinks and beers.
- Manhattan Bar. The jazz music inspired drinks list of the Manhattan Bar includes: rare whiskies, cognac, aged grappa, the best brands of vodka and gin, and aged tequila.
- Piazza San Giorgio. Sample the delights of Piazza San Giorgio. With its bar ice-cream parlor, pastry and chocolate shop, a world reminiscent of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory awaits guests. Dishes include creme bavaroise with almonds and berries, chocolate semifreddo, vanilla and rose macaron cream, cannoli, baba and meringues.
The MSC Aurea Spa offers ultra-modern treatments such as therapeutic mud packs, perfumed vapors, aesthetic massages and much more.
MSC Fantasia boasts an exclusive area: privileged passengers can sojourn in the MSC Yacht Club, amenities include 71 suites,a bar, solarium, 2 hydro-massage pools, 1 sky dome swimming pool, concierge service and glass-walled Observation Lounge where guests can enjoy amazing ocean views. A butler service will offer assistance at check-in, transport luggage, unpack, serve traditional English afternoon tea as well as arranging cigars and beverages, booking tables at restaurants, treatments in the MSC Aurea Spa, ad hoc excursions and even arrange a private party!
Want to sunbathe in peace and privacy? Soak up the sun in style in the adults-only sanctuary of serenity. Top 18 boasts premium deck space and stunning sea views, as well as its own dedicated spa service, bar menu and complimentary fruit skewers. For groups of friends, couples looking for a romantic hideaway or parents looking for some quiet time, Top 18 is the perfect place to relax, unwind and watch the waves go by.
MSC Cruises' offers a wide array of entertainment programs and facilities, with its state-of-the-art 1600 seat L'Avanguardia Theatre, futuristic Liquid Disco, the Casino delle Palme with more than 1000 square meters (more than 3000sq. feet) of casino gaming and Virtual World, video games room.
The fun is never-ending by day or night. Italians are known for l'arte di vivere — or joie de vivre in French, the art of living and enjoying life.
Begin, perhaps with an invigorating yoga class, volleyball game, tennis or miniature golf. Stop by the Internet Cafe or international library while the kids enjoy the fun of the complimentary youth program that includes art, dancing and games for kids of all ages. Enjoy shopping in the onboard boutiques, or enrich your mind with an Italian lesson.
When evening arrives, la notte magica — the night is magical. Inspired entertainment brings standing ovations. Different shows are offered in the theater each night, such as passionate flamenco dancers from Spain.
Your enchanted evening continues with dancing in the disco and live performances throughout the ship, from a classical string quartet to jazz and piano. Or have fun singing along to your favorite Italian songs. And in the European gaming tradition, try your luck in the casino. Then end your evening with a romantic stroll on the pool deck where le stelle brilliano luminose — the stars shine bright.
All staterooms are provided with an innovative digital television system that gives you access to several onboard services. The service uses the most technologically advanced interactive system in the cruise market. Using your remote control you can follow the daily program, watch first-run movies (pay-per-view), purchase shore excursions, order room service, preview our ports of call, or buy items from the onboard shops — and you can also check onboard account. The new service delivers great media from the comfort of your stateroom and also delivers extremely high video and audio quality.
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
If you're interested in a cruise on MSC Fantasia, contact a Cruiseable travel advocate at 1-877-322-3773 or by email. We can usually offer a better deal than you can get by contacting the cruise line directly.
Did you find your love of life on the MSC Fantasia? Please share a story, tip or discovery.What was the highlight?
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Top highlights on this ship
- Nearly 300,000 square feet of public space
- She is big, greater in length than the height of the Eiffel Tower
- Use the interactive digital television system service and watch movies, buy excursions, check your onboard account, order room service or shop without leaving your stateroom
- A Willy Wonka-style chocolate factory of delights awaits you onboard
- A wine buff's dream, more than 50 superb Italian, French and Spanish wines served at the L'Etoile Restaurant