You’re going on a cruise you always dreamed about with that special person. Maybe it’s a honeymoon, anniversary or just a lovers’ fling — you want to always look your best, don’t you? Well, as a longtime beauty writer as well as a traveler who's notched more than 300 cruises, I have several good makeup tips for you.
Preparations before the sailing
Before your trip, make an appointment with a makeup studio such as Blushington to learn the art of application. (Or, once on board, you can go to the salon for a makeup application, assuming your ship has a spa or salon (which most do). I lucked out during a cruise on Ruby Princess. Representatives from Estée Lauder provided the boutiques with free makeup for passengers. I booked mine for formal night and made sure I was there on time as there was a long line. The talented cosmetician used her magic to make me look years younger.)
Timing is everything
If you don’t have time to go for a lesson before you sail, then follow my guidelines:
First of all, never pile on the foundation and heavy eye shadow for breakfast or before your morning swim. The sunlight really exaggerates it, and the look won't be flattering. All you need in the morning, after washing, toning, moisturizing is IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Foundation--an amazing cover-up with SPF 50 that shields your skin from sun damage, which I apply everyday. You can even wear it at night. IT also has a jaw-dropping line of makeup called Bye Bye Lines that does just that, trust me, I use it and love it.
Brows can be beautiful if you use the right product and IT Cosmetic's brow powder with a brow transformer brush rocks. And for a glam finish, IT Superhero eye liner and mascara that lasts from dawn to late night. Go ahead swim in the pool, or go ashore to an ocean beach, it's waterproof.
The company also has a miracle maker PerfectLighting Magic Wand and CC-SPF50 Airbrush perfecting powder that provides a healthy, natural glow to your skin. And, if you spend the wee small hours in the bars or disco you will really need to bring some Bye Bye Under Eye concealer that get rids of dark circles caused by late night partying or cramming and lack of sleep.
You must have IT Bye Bye Lines and Wrinkles--a foundation collection that covers and conceals.
Teenagers take heed
If that ugly zit pops up during your cruise, there is help with ITs Bye Bye Breakout--a drying lotion and concealer in one.
I also recommend a tinted BB Cream such as Boots No7 that covers flaws and protects from UV damage. If you want, put on some waterproof mascara, but make sure it really is waterproof or you'll look like a raccoon, especially if you swim or sun. Now just add lip gloss and go off and have fun!
Come evening, that’s another story. You want to own it, especially if you doll up in a cool designer number. Do go for it with foundation, powder, eyeliner and blush. Be sure to contour to bring out your assets, brush bronzer in the cheek hollows and blush on top. Get some sparkle eye shadow. Go online and check out the art of strobing — the hottest new beauty technique going. Be sure your hair is nicely coiffed, of course.
A few more makeup products for your beauty care lineup
- Boots No7 Lift & Luminate Foundation to achieve a natural look with medium coverage plus SPF 15 and No7 CC Cream Color & Care with SPF 20 that moisturizes, brightens and blurs those little imperfections (should you have any).
- No7 Protect & Perfect Anti-Aging Complex covers lines and wrinkles and protects with an SPF 15.
- Beautifully Matte Foundation is intended for normal to oily skin, it's a medium cover-up that lasts for up to 14 hours and contains SPF 15.
- No7 Protect & Perfect Foundation is for light to medium coverage, it comes with anti-aging complex that helps reduce lines and hide the flaws. It’s rated SPF 15 and, like all these products, it’s hypo-allergenic.
- No7 Beautifully Matte Foundation has the coverage that lasts, looks natural and contains SPF 15.
Other skin & beauty products for your next cruise
Other products for your makeup kit I can’t live without:
- IT Cosmetics Vitality Lip Blush Hydrating Gloss Stain and Vitality Lip Flush Butter Gloss are powered by anti-aging, skin-loving ingredients including powerful antioxidants and nourishing butters and oils.
- L’eclisse is the beauty junkie’s go-to for glamorous mineral makeup and luscious lipsticks along with a Pressed Mineral Blush that is natural-looking and luxurious. The collection also includes a vegan blush brush with super-soft bristles made of 100 percent premium fibers.
- L’eclisse Natural Lip Gloss goes on sensually for extra-sexy lips and pouts. More importantly, it will offer protection from sunburned lips during your cruise. It’s made from an all-natural blend of certified organic ingredients. You and your friends will love the neutral shades that complement a wide variety of skin tones.
- Tarte cosmetics is another must have and one of QVC’s biggest sellers of cool compacts, lipsticks, sunscreen, body oils, a unique contouring face slenderizer (that’s fun to play with to make your face look more angular and model-like), and lots of other cool cosmetics to stuff your beauty bag or cabinet. The company also released a sizzling summer collection you really need to check out, especially the maracuja-infused self-tanner, which is perfect for very light-skinned beach goers who need to shun the sun. The sun-free bronzer gives you that St. Tropez look without damaging the skin and it goes on without streaking.
Makeup options for budget savers
Let's not forget some options for the budget savers out there:
- Maybelline Eye Studio Master Graphic Liquid Eyeliner that’s just $7.99 and glides under and above your lids like silk for a perfect line. It comes in a Striking Bold color.
- Then there’s New York Color Elixir Iridescents by Color Sensational turn your lips into sexy pillows with colors such as Blushing Petal, Pearlescent Peach, Radiant Ruby, Glistening Coral and more. How much you ask? Just $8.99.
- For flawless faces, Maybelline’s Make Fit Happen! can’t be matched for the $7.99 price. I applied it today and can’t get over how it covered the flaws and gave a natural glow. It comes in eight translucent and pigmented shades for normal to oily skin. Maybelline is sold everywhere at drugstores, beauty supply shops and supermarkets.
Here’s a bonus tip from Beverly Hills, Calif., celebrity hairstylist Nelson J about tress trends at sea: “The easiest do is a ponytail or braid, especially if the hair is highlighted with different colors,” says the man who styles of manes of some of Hollywood’s finest. With the humidity and sea air, hair often falls limp, so braids and ponytails are the way to go.
So there you have it, some tips to help you become an even more sensational-looking seafarer.
Note: When we write about products or services at Cruiseable, we never accept payment from sponsors or suppliers. See Cruiseable's Ethics & disclosure policy.
What are your hot makeup tips? If you have any tips, or questions for Patti, please post a comment below.
Updated from an earlier version. Help improve this article! See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!