On a cruise ship
Viking Vilhjalm: Sailing the Danube with grace & flair
Viking Vilhjalm is a Longship from Viking River Cruises that debuted in 2016 with culture-focused cruises along the storied Danube River.
The 443-foot Vilhjalm is nearly identical to other Longships launched by Viking in 2012. The ships' innovative design enabled Viking to introduce a large number of balcony cabins, something rarely seen previously because of requirements governing ship dimensions so that they can navigate locks and low bridges.
A sister ship to Viking Alruna, Egil, Kadlin, Rolf and Tialfi, the 190-passenger Vilhjalm has a crew of 50 and 95 cabins located on three passenger decks. Staterooms and public areas are light and airy thanks to the ship's understated Scandinavian design, making use of muted color palettes and pale wood effects. The ship uses "green" hybrid diesel-electric engines, which makes it quiet with minimal vibrations.
Where Viking Vilhjalm sails
Viking Vilhjlm sails the "7 Night Danube Waltz" cruise from Budapest, Hungary, to Bratislava, Slovakia, Vienna, Krems, Melk and Linz in Austria before ending in Passau, Germany, exploring historic buildings, castles, churches and cultural touchstones along the way. It also sails the reverse itinerary.
Dining on this ship
Viking Vilhjalm has two restaurants on board: The Restaurant is the main dining venue, featuring floor-to-ceiling windows for panoramic views, and the Aquavit Terrace offers an innovative indoor/outdoor viewing area at the front of the ship on the upper deck. Both serve regional specialties and American classics.
- 95 outside staterooms (2 Explorer Suites, 7 Veranda Suites, 39 Veranda Staterooms, FrenchBalcony Staterooms, 25 Standard Staterooms)
- All suites feature two rooms with a veranda off the living room and a French balcony in the bedroom
- Sun deck with 360-degree views and shaded sitting area; organic herb garden and solar panels; putting green, and walking track
- Aquavit Terrace with a revolutionary indoor/outdoor viewing area at the bow of the ship and grills for al fresco dining
- Observation Lounge and bar with floor-to-ceiling glass doors
- Restaurant with floor-to-ceiling windows for panoramic views
- Library corner and onboard boutique
- Free shipwide wireless Internet service
- Ecologically friendly hybrid engines producing less vibrations for a smoother ride
- 40-inch flat-panel Sony TV with infotainment system featuring movies on demand plus CNBC, CNN, National Geographic and more
Several stateroom types and sizes are available, ranging from a standard cabin (150 square feet) to a French Balcony stateroom (135 square feet) to an Explorer Suite (445 square feet with a private wraparound veranda providing 270-degree views). There are 2 Explorer Suites, 7 Veranda Suites (275 square feet), 39 Veranda Staterooms (135 to 150 square feet), 22 French Balcony Staterooms (135 square feet) and 25 Standard Staterooms (150 square feet). The 95 cabins are spaced out on three passenger decks and reflect Viking's trademark Scandinavian style: muted tones, pale woods, functional furnishings.
Have you sailed on Viking Vilhjalm? Please share a story, tip or discovery. What was the highlight? We would love to hear about your experience — please share!
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
Interested in a cruise on this ship? Contact a Cruiseable travel consultant at 1-877-322-3773, or by email, to get additional information and to find the best rates and value for your vacation dollar.