Orange County, CA
Viking Mekong: Ship overview & photo tour
Built in 2014 specifically to navigate the Mekong and Irrawaddy Rivers, Viking Cruises' Viking Mekong is intimate, accommodating just 60 guests. The ship offers sweeping river views, hotel-style amenities and a casual atmosphere with an attentive, English-speaking crew.
Onboard amenities include regional cuisine, a concierge, laundry service, a tailor and complimentary Internet in the ship's Internet café.
Who will like sailing on Viking Mekong
Viking River Cruises has typically attracted an older demographic; however, that's changing as the clientele has consistently been younger and younger. Viking is an excellent option for cruise lovers with an interest in exploring art, culture and history.
Where Viking Mekong sails
Viking Mekong sails the following itineraries:
- Magnificent Mekong explores the scenic and culturally distinctive lands that lie along the Mekong River on this 15-day cruisetour. Encounter ancient Khmer monuments at Angkor Wat and the elegant French colonial capital of Phnom Penh in Cambodia; and in Vietnam, visit the floating markets of the Mekong delta, experience the intimate charm of Hanoi’s old city and tour dynamic Ho Chi Minh City, formerly Saigon.
River cruising: it's about destination immersion
River cruising is about the destination more so than the ship. While enjoying the creature comforts of Viking Mekong, make sure to take advantage of opportunities to connect with local culture, history and highlights of the places that you visit. Don't be surprised to see local dishes on the menu or local entertainers sharing music, dancing and stories.
Viking Mekong has one restaurant with a casual yet elegant atmosphere. When Mekong is not scheduled to leave port until later in the evening, treat yourself to a night on the town and sample cuisine at a nearby restaurant (at your own expense, but a nice way to experience the local culture).
For breakfast, there is an ample buffet, allowing you to choose from a selection of pastries, cereals, breakfast meats, egg dishes, fresh fruit and selected cheeses. At lunch, select from the soup and sandwich bar, or a choice of entrées and dessert. And for dinner, expect a five-course menu with regional specialties.
River cruising is very mellow. There are not any large production shows or comedy clubs. What you will enjoy is some light piano music played by the house musician and local entertainers who are brought onto the ship to sing, dance or tell stories from the local perspective.
After dinner, you can hang out in the lounge and have an after-dinner drink or you can walk back into town if the ship is not leaving port until later in the evening.
To complement your tours and shore excursions, make sure to take advantage of the Viking's Cultural Highlights — immersive learning and enhancement activities both onboard and ashore:
- Visit the renowned Hanoi Temple of Literature
- Tour the magnificent ruins of Angkor
- Enjoy traditional Apsara temple dancing
- Visit colorful floating markets on the banks of the Mekong
These in-depth experiences are included as an essential part of discovering more about the places through which you cruise, and each activity is planned specifically to illuminate each itinerary.
Sometimes you want to dig a little deeper. Viking Mekong offers a series of onboard multimedia talks to shed light on the history and culture of the places you visit. Learn about:
- The rise and fall of the Khmer empire
- The archaeological excavations at Angkor
- The history of Vietnam and Cambodia
- The history & culture of the Champa people
- Key words and phrases in the local languages
These presentations provide a context for your own observations, enhancing your travel experience.
All 30 staterooms onboard are outside and feature a river view. They also have:
- Hotel-style beds with optional twin-bed configuration
- Staterooms on the Upper and Middle decks have large windows that open
- Private bathroom & shower
- Safe & hair dryer
- Air conditioning
- Bottled water replenished daily
How about you? Have you sailed on a Viking Mekong? We would love to hear about your experience — please share!
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Interested in a cruise on this ship?