On a cruise ship
Viking Lif: Explore Eastern Europe’s waterways on a grand tour
The 190-passenger Viking Lif features three of the most wide-ranging cruise tours in Europe with a choice of Vienna, Budapest and Bucharest, Romania, to boot.
Some of the innovative spaces on Viking Lif include the indoor-outdoor Aquavit Terrace at the bow of the ship, an expansive Sun Deck and interiors that represent spacious public spaces, lots of natural light and light-blonde wood accents. Viking Lif is a "green" ship because of energy-efficient hybrid engines, solar panels and an organic herb garden.
Viking Lif transports guests in comfortable, understated elegance, with hotel-style beds and amenities like 26-inch flat-panel TVs and in-room refrigerators. Over the years, Viking River Cruises has received numerous awards for its itineraries and innovative ship designs and onboard programming.
Who will like sailing on Viking Lif
If you have an interest in exploring art, culture or history, then sailing on Viking Lif will make an ideal vacation, especially with the onboard educational activities available.
Where Viking Lif sails
Viking Lif sails three itineraries:
- Grand European Tour is a 14-night cruise along the Rhine, Main and Danube rivers. Cruise passengers will visit everything from the windmill-studded tulip fields in Holland to Germany's fairytale castles, as well as the Main-Danube Canal and Austria's Wachau Valley vineyards. Highlights include Vienna, Amsterdam and Budapest.
- Passage to Eastern Europe, a 10-night cruise and land tour from Budapest to Bucharest, Romania (or the reverse) taking in Belgrade and other river towns along the way.
- European Sojourn, a 22-night cruise and land tour from Amsterdam to Bucharest, Romania (or the reverse), with stops in Vienna, Belgrade and a dozen river towns.
River cruising: It's about destination immersion
River cruising is about the destination probably more so than the ship. The ports of call shadow the onboard amenities; however, Viking helps guests learn about the local culture, history and highlights of the places that they visit. Don't be surprised to see local dishes on the menu or local entertainers sharing their music, dancing and stories.
Viking Lif includes daily tours with the cruise fare, which makes the hassle of figuring out logistics less challenging. Most tours are done around lunch and then you are free to do what you choose until the ship leaves port. You'll be given a nightly briefing in the evening before dinner to get updates on the next day’s call to discuss the upcoming day’s activities, tours and logistics. Plan to attend the session to discover highlights of the upcoming town's history, art, food, music and architecture.
Viking Lif has one restaurant called, fittingly, The Restaurant. The atmosphere is casual yet elegant. Dinner is at a set time, and you are welcome to sit with whomever you wish. When Lif is not scheduled to leave port until later in the evening, treat yourself to a night on the town and sample cuisine at a nearby restaurant (at your own expense, but a nice way to experience the local culture).
The cruise line’s website says this about dining options on board: “For breakfast, choose from a selection of pastries, cereals, breakfast meats, egg dishes, fresh fruit and selected cheeses. At lunch, select from the soup and sandwich bar, or from a choice of entrées and dessert. And for dinner, expect a five-course menu with regional specialties. Wherever you sail, you will find enhancements reflecting the itinerary — it is all part of experiencing the local culture."
Don’t miss: Al fresco dining aboard Viking Lif. One of the unique features on Viking Lif is the Aquavit Terrace, which is an outdoor space for you to watch the river while enjoying a coffee, cocktail, pint or al fresco dining. The Aquavit Terrace is equipped with grills for outdoor cooking.
Entertainment & activities
River cruising is very mellow. You won't find any large production shows or comedy clubs. What you will enjoy is some light piano music played by the house musician and local entertainers who are brought onto the ship to sing, dance or tell stories from the local perspective. After dinner, cruise passengers can hang out in the lounge and have an after-dinner drink, or they can walk back into town if the ship is not leaving port until later in the evening.
To complement your onshore excursions, take part in immersive learning and enhancement activities both on board and ashore. Classes in cooking specialties such as apple strudel and Alsatian flammkuchen; traditional performances of folk music and dance or waltzes by Strauss; and tastings of local cheeses, coffees, liqueurs and other delicacies are some examples of in-depth experiences that are included as an essential part of discovering more about the places through which you cruise.
There are 95 outside staterooms on Viking Lif (two Explorer Suites, seven Veranda Suites, 39 Veranda Staterooms, 22 French Balcony Staterooms and 25 Standard Staterooms). The top category on a Viking Longship is an Explorer Suite. These spacious cabins measure 445 square feet and offer 270-degree views from a wraparound veranda.
Overall cabins are average size for a river boat, but there is plenty of closet space and extra storage available under the bed. The bathroom has a pocket door, which is a nice feature because that design saves space.
- Viking Longships are 443 feet long and 38 feet wide because those are the maximum dimensions possible for river ships navigating the locks on some of Europe's waterways. If they were even two inches longer or wider, they wouldn't fit in some locks.
- Viking names its ships after Norse mythology. Viking Lif was named after Lif, who is the bringer of life to a new world.
Have you cruised on Viking Lif? What was it like? We'd love to hear about your own experience.
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
For pricing, itinerary information and to reserve your spot on Viking Lif, contact a Cruiseable travel consultant by email or by calling 1-877-322-3773.
Top highlights on this ship
- Sun Deck with 360-degree views and shaded sitting area; organic herb garden and solar panels; putting green, chess and walking track
- Free shipwide wi-fi
- "Balcony" cabins have floor-to-ceiling slLifng glass doors
- Aquavit Terrace at the bow of the ship is great place to watch the river roll by
- Ecologically friendly hybrid engines producing less vibrations for a smoother ride
- Restaurant with floor-to-ceiling windows for panoramic views
- Observation lounge and bar with floor-to-ceiling glass doors
- Library corner and onboard boutique
Top dining options on board
“With wood-rich interiors, Viking Lif has a spacious, light-filed feeling with a practical, innovative design. The tastefully decorated restaurant and alternative ‘Aquavit Terrace’ offer good, unfussy food to match.”