Orange County, CA
Viking Emerald: Designed for river cruising in China
Launched in 2011, Viking Cruises' Viking Emerald was designed for river cruising in Asia on the Yangtze River, and it's still the lone Viking ship operating in China. Accommodating 256 guests with full verandas, hotel-style beds in every suite and stateroom, public areas bathed in light and an English-speaking crew, Viking Emerald is one of the most sophisticated river ships sailing the region.
Onboard amenities include regional cuisine, a concierge, laundry service, a tailor and complimentary Internet in the ship's Internet café.
Who will like sailing on Viking Emerald
Viking Emerald is an excellent option for cruise lovers with an interest in exploring the culture of China.
Where Viking Emerald sails
Viking Emerald sails the following itineraries:
- Imperial Jewels of China is an 11-day cruise that shows passengers all of China's key highlights. Explore cosmopolitan Shanghai and, in Beijing, imperial treasures like the Great Wall and Forbidden City. Cruise the Three Gorges region of the legendary Yangtze, admire the engineering marvel of the Three Gorges Dam and visit Xian, home of the famous Terra Cotta Army.
- China's Cultural Delights is an 18‑day cruise exploring China’s cradle of culture along the Yangtze between Chongqing and Nanjing. See all the wonders of Beijing, Xian, Shanghai and the Three Gorges, plus visit the birthplace of porcelain, the elegant classical gardens of Suzhou, a sacred Buddhist mountain and much more.
- Roof of the World is a 16-day cruise that visits the imperial treasures of Beijing, including the Forbidden City and the Summer Palace. Passengers will also visit the Terra Cotta Warriors in Xian and explore both ancient and contemporary Shanghai.
Viking Emerald has one restaurant with a casual yet elegant atmosphere. Regional specialties and contemporary cuisine can be found here for breakfast, lunch & dinner.
To complement your tours and shore excursions, make sure to take advantage of the Viking's Cultural Highlights — immersive learning and enhancement activities both onboard and ashore:
- Shanghai Acrobatic Troupe revue
- Hubei bronze bells performance
- Tibetan family tea
- Porcelain-making demonstration
- Visiting with children at a local school
These in-depth experiences are included as an essential part of discovering more about the places through which you cruise, and each activity is planned specifically to illuminate each itinerary.
Sometimes you want to dig a little deeper. Viking Emerald offers a series of onboard multimedia talks to shed light on the history and culture of the places you visit. Learn about:
- The Three Gorges Dam
- China's dynasties
- History of Chinese culture
- The Great Wall of China
- The Terra Cotta Warriors
- Key written and spoken words and phrases in the Chinese language
These presentations provide a context for your own observations, enhancing your travel experience.
Accommodating 256 guests with full balconies, hotel-style beds in every spacious suite and stateroom and an outstanding crew, Viking Emerald is one of the most sophisticated river ships in the world. The ship's hotel operations are 100% managed by Viking River Cruises' Swiss-trained management team, employing knowledgeable English-speaking staff.
How about you? Have you sailed on Viking Emerald? We'd love to hear about your experience — please share!
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
Top highlights on this ship
- All staterooms & suites have hotel-style beds with optional twin-bed configuration
- All staterooms have a veranda with sliding glass doors
- Private bathroom with shower & premium bath products; bathrobe & slippers upon request
- State-of-the-art Western kitchen offers a choice of expertly prepared Asian and European cuisines
- Hotel & catering services overseen by Viking’s Swiss management
- Restaurant with panoramic views
- Sun Deck with shaded sitting area