On a cruise ship
CruiseClout score: 95.0
The A: Stylish, all-inclusive river cruising in Europe
The A, from Uniworld's U River Cruises, offers a variety of itineraries all geared to the millennial travelers. The ship features rooftop lounges, farm-to-table dining and mixology classes, and it sails through France, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, the Netherlands and Hungary.
Fares are all-inclusive and cover food, drink, entertainment, Wi-Fi, all the tours in each town and gratuities. While it's a similar concept, river cruising is quite different than ocean cruising. On a river cruise, you can expect to see the shoreline every day, get off of the ship every day, enjoy a more comfortable setting with fewer passengers.
The A boasts luxuriously appointed riverview staterooms, some with French balconies and bathrooms are stocked with L’Occitane body products. There is a panoramic main lounge with a full-service bar, cozy library/game room, and elegant restaurant. A 24-hour specialty coffee and tea bar are at cruisers' disposal. Enjoy the storied routes on the sun deck, decked out with chess and shuffleboard and wireless Internet access is available in public areas.
Who will enjoy sailing on The A
The A is a great option for plugged-in millennial travelers looking for a different kind of travel experience on a luxurious river ship.
Where The A sails
Home port: Basel, Switzerland
Details: The A chiefly cruises the Rhine and Danube Rivers. Different itineraries take you through France, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, the Netherlands and Hungary. Vienna, Budapest, Amsterstam, Brussels, Bamberg, Cologne and Belgrade are just some of the ports waiting for you.
All meals are in the Restaurant, forward on Moselle deck. It's a light and airy, elegant room. Meals are open seating, although most head for the same places each evening. Breakfast and lunch are buffet-style.
Entertainment & public areas
- Main Lounge with full-service bar and dance floor
- Library/game room
- Sun deck with life-size chess and shuffleboard
- Fitness center with a jet massage shower cabin
- Serenity River Spa, and boutique
Guests have a choice of four categories of cabins: Studios, Triples, Balconies and Suites. All cabins except Suites are a smallish 128 square feet; Suites are 256 square feet. All staterooms sport clean, modern lines as well as electronic outlets and lots of gizmos.
- Free Internet and Wi-Fi access
- 24-hour reception service
- Complimentary 24-hour specialty coffee and tea bar
- Use of bicycles and Nordic walking sticks
Uniworld's River Ambassador was taken out of service in 2017 and refurbished to become The A, a ship in Uniworld's U River Cruises, geared to millennial travelers.
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
How about you? Have you sailed on The A? How was it? We'd love to see your photos and hear about your experience.
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Top highlights on this ship
- All-inclusive European river cruises, with everything included in the cruise fare
- Carefully crafted shore excursions hosted by English-speaking local experts with options to personalize with “Choice Is Yours”
- The highest staff-to-guest ratio in the river cruise industry
- Stroll through the legendary Keukenhof Gardens, which boast seven million tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths.
“This river ship has oodles of panache and delivers an ‘inclusive’ cruise with comfortable, elegant interiors. The cabins are dimensionally challenged but functional with windows and queen-sized beds.”