On a cruise ship
Uniworld's River Tosca: The romance of cruising the Nile
Cruise the Nile in a manner once reserved for queens and pharaohs. Experience Egypt and the Nile’s most wondrous sites in style and luxury when you set sail on an eight-day voyage aboard Uniworld's River Tosca. A boutique ship, River Tosca is a safe, comfortable and exhilarating way to experience Egypt and the famous Nile River culture and scenery. Wander among the towering ruins of the Temple of Karnak, the world’s largest ancient religious complex, and the entrancing Temple of Luxor. Visit temples dedicated to Hathor, Horus, and other mythological figures, and pay homage to the country’s first female ruler at the Temple of Hatshepsut. Follow in the footsteps of renowned scholars and explorers as you venture forth into the Valley of the Kings, the ancient burial grounds of Egyptian royalty. Get acquainted with Nubian culture during a home visit with a local family, and enjoy an exhilarating ride in a felucca, a traditional Nile River sailboat.
Egypt can assault your senses; unlike many other river cruising destinations, the country is poor and in constant political flux, and vendors can be aggressive, which is why the River Tosca offers a secure, welcome respite from the chaos.
The captivating itinerary begins and ends in Cairo, where you’ll visit the famous Egyptian Museum and its stupendous and unrivaled collection of pharaonic artifacts, including treasures recovered from the tomb of King Tutankhamun. Journey to Giza to gaze upon the mighty ancient Pyramids and the timeworn, enigmatic Sphinx.
Who will like sailing on River Tosca
Uniworld is a U.S. company and the line's passengers are predominantly North American. Australians, New Zealanders and other English-speaking folks are also now discovering the ship. As per most Uniworld cruises, River Tosca cruisers are affluent and well-traveled, with most in age 55 and above. Going to Egypt these days can be tricky and most passengers have the sophistication to handle unexpected but generally minor travel disruptions.
Where River Tosca sails
Home port: Dendera, Egypt
Destinations: Sail along the Nile from Dendera and call in ports including Luxor, Kom Ombo, Aswan, and Edfu.
Dining, bars & lounges
- Stylishly adorned lounge with full-service bar
- cozy library
- elegant restaurant
Spa & fitness
- Fully equipped gym and massage room
Plenty of excursions to enjoy, but hot afternoons on the ship demand a dip in the pool and some cool mint tea. On board you'll find:
- Sun deck with cabanas and a swimming pool
- Boutique for gifts and sundries
- Tour the major sites with an Egyptologist
Big cabins make cruising the Nile in style a comfortable experience.
- Suites feature a French balcony, and custom-made beds draped with the finest bed linens. A vanity and make-up mirror, generous built-in closets, a hair dryer
- safe, individual thermostat for air conditioning
- direct-dial telephone
- iPod docking station
- flat-screen television with satellite channels
- Private bathrooms have both a bathtub and shower, and are stocked with thick towels, cozy robes, his and her slippers, and soothing bath amenities
- Wireless Internet access in public areas
How about you? Have you sailed on River Tosca? We'd like to hear about your experience!
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
Top highlights on this ship
- The Nile, the longest and perhaps most famous river in the world, holds many historical and cultural secrets
- Tour the major sites with an Egyptologist!
- Drink cooling mint tea by the pool on hot afternoons