On a cruise ship
CruiseClout score: 95.0
Tauck's Treasures: Central European jewels
Perfectly at home gliding past fairy-tale castles, ancient monasteries and Gothic cathedrals on the waters of three historic rivers in the heart of Europe – the Rhine, the Danube and the Main – Tauck's ms Treasures may call on such historic cities as Köln, Koblenz, Nürnberg, Passau, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest and more.
One of a fleet of Jewel-class riverboats, ms Treasures and her sister ships accommodate no more than 118 guests, while similar-sized riverboats average about 160. Guest amenities inside her 14 300-square-foot suites include brocade upholstery, roomy walk-in closets with built-in drawers, spacious marble baths with full-size tubs, and two French balconies with floor-to-ceiling windows that open to idyllic riverscapes.
Launched in 2011, the ship also sports seven 183-square-foot cabins, similarly furnished. Standard cabins (150 square feet) are cozy and comfortable and are similar in décor and style to the larger suites. 85% have floor-to-ceiling windows with real French balconies that open on to a balcony in the fresh air, all have in-room movies, minibar, adjustable heating and cooling, private bathroom and shower with Molton Brown toiletries.
Who will like sailing on Tauck's Treasures?
Tauck's primary clientele is the over-55 set, a well-educated and well-traveled group interested in a "stop and smell the roses" approach to European travel.
Where ms Treasures sails
Cruise Tauck's ms Treasures on the Danube, Main, and Rhine rivers to such historic cities as Köln, Koblenz, Nürnberg, Passau, Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest.
Meals are a melange of European style menus, with lighter fare available in the light, window-filled Lido Bar if you want a smaller venue to eat. Regionally sourced local fare is fresh and varied. Meals off the ship are encouraged, whether in an atmospheric family-owned traditional German eatery or aboard a Dutch canal boat. On board, there's always something to snack on, and service is attentive and detail oriented.
Other dining details:
- Open seating in dining room
- Flexible dining times
- Vegetarian meals always available
- Alternate dining venue for classic favorites at lunch and dinner and lighter breakfasts
- Al fresco dining on Sun Deck, weather permitting
- American breakfast room service available in Category 7 suites
- Complimentary snacks served 10 am to midnight
- Unlimited complimentary beverages aboard ship include regional wine, beer and premium spirits in addition to specialty coffee, water and soft drinks
Entertainment, bars & lounges
- Enrichment lectures
- Piano music nightly
- In-room movies
- Culinary demos
- Local entertainment and “themed” fun
- Fitness center
- Massages available
- Putting green on Sun Deck
- Whirlpool on Sun Deck – available 24 hours
- Bicycles available aboard for use ashore
Other amenities aboard ms Treasures:
- Two 110-volt and two 220-volt outlets included in every cabin for small electronics; minibar stocked with complimentary water and soft drinks
- Complimentary Internet & Email available
- Laundry service available
Cabins aboard ms Treasures are well appointed and spacious, with plenty of room and storage for your things. All have views, most with floor-to-ceiling French balconies, giving even the smaller cabins a bright and airy feel. The marble bath includes a roomy shower. River cruising is usually quite smooth and the rooms are well insulated, so you can expect restful sleep.
Other stateroom amenities:
- Sumptuous new bedding and amenities, including 400-thread-count satin bed linens made from combed cotton
- Puffy white duvets and pillows of fine mako cotton, with a hypoallergenic 90% down filling
- 100% cotton blankets, temperature balancing and soft to the skin
- Thick pillow-top mattresses
- Essentials Line of Molton Brown bath products
- Absorbent terry cloth robes and fluffy towels
- Hair dryers
How about you? Have you sailed on Tauck's Treasures? We'd like to hear about your experience!
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
Top highlights on this ship
- Enjoy fresh air on your balcony as you glide by storybook towns and villages
- Warning, the languid approach to visiting iconic European locales could become habit-forming
- What could be finer than Al fresco dining on Sun Deck, weather permitting?