On a cruise ship
Tauck's ms Sapphire: Explore France at a leisurely pace
In early 2017, the venerable cruise line Tauck is taking its Swiss Sapphire river ship and reengineering it for fewer guests with larger rooms. Tauck's ms Sapphire will glitter along the waters of the River Seine as she explores France's from its rural villages to Normandy’s beaches and Monet’s Giverny.
As you cruise, the riverboat’s comfortable public spaces are ideal spots for socializing or simply relaxing as you glide past the remarkable scenery along Europe’s rivers — meeting your shipmates for a cocktail, kicking back in the Jacuzzi or chatting as you bask in the sun.
ms Sapphire has been redesigned to accommodate no more than 98 guests with an innovative deck plan featuring 14 300-square-foot Suites and 20 225-square-foot cabins. The ship also offers walk-in closets, marble baths with full-size tubs and two French balconies with floor-to-ceiling windows.
Who will enjoy sailing ms Sapphire?
Tauck's core river boat audience is well-traveled and well-heeled, in the 55-plus age range, and many are repeat Tauck customers.
Where ms Sapphire sails
Tauck's Swiss Sapphire cruises the River Seine in France from magical Paris to Calvados country to Normandy’s beaches and Monet’s Giverny.
Dine on fine, freshly prepared cuisine with regional wines and beer included at lunch and dinner onboard, with attentive, friendly service — plus regional treats and tastings — as you enjoy great views of the passing scenery in the panoramic main dining room.
- Open seating in dining room with flexible dining times
- European-style dinner is a set menu with appetizer, soup and salad as well as four or five good entrée selections including a vegetarian option. Regional wines are served, as are soft drink, beer and juices.
- Vegetarian meals available
- Alternate dining venue Arthur's for lunch and dinner, as well as a lighter breakfasts in the morning
- Al fresco dining on Sun Deck (weather permitting)
- American breakfast room service available in Category 7 suites
- Complimentary snacks served 10 am to midnight
- Unlimited complimentary beverages including regional wine, beer and premium spirits in addition to specialty coffee, water and soft drinks
Amenities & activities
- The onboard meals, wine and beer with dinner, entertainment and port charges are included in the fare.
- Your ship is equipped with bicycles that you and your companions can use for independent exploration along the riverside, past lush vineyards, through a historic village or wherever your heart takes you.
- Onboard entertainment includes enrichment lectures, piano music nightly, in-room movies, culinary demos, local entertainment and “themed” fun
- Complimentary Internet
- Fitness center
- Massages available
- Putting green on Sun Deck
- 24-hour Jacuzzi on Sun Deck
Some 70 percent of Emerald's cabins measure 225 square feet or larger and 14 lush 300-square-foot Tauck Suites. Some 85 percent have floor-to-ceiling windows with real Fren balconies that open on to a balcony in the fresh air. Bedding and amenities include:
- 400-thread-count satin bed linens
- Puffy white duvets and pillows of very fine mako cotton with a hypoallergenic 90% down filling
- 100% cotton temperature-balancing blankets
- In-room movies
- Adjustable heating and cooling
- Molton Brown bath products
- Terry cloth robes
- Hair dryers
- Two 110-volt and two 220-volt outlets included in every cabin for small electronics
- Minibar stocked with complimentary water and soft drinks
How about you? Does ms Sapphire sound tempting?
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Interested in a cruise on this ship?