Independence of the Seas
On a cruise ship
Independence of the Seas: Packed with onboard activities
Meet Independence of the Seas, packed with a long list of onboard activities typical of Royal Caribbean's Freedom class of ships. Highlights include the FlowRider surf simulator, a rock-climbing wall, ice-skating rink, cantilevered whirlpools, Royal Promenade, mini golf course, and more.
Who will like sailing on Independence of the Seas
Those looking for variety will appreciate the Independence of the Seas' onboard experience. Its activities will appeal to a wide range of cruise passengers, making it an ideal cruise ship for friends and families with different interests. The dining spots make the perfect place to meet up to discuss the day's events.
Where Independence of the Seas sails
Independence of the Seas offers mostly 3- and 4-night sailings to the Bahamas as well as longer voyages in and around the Caribbean year round.
Top dining options
From the delicious cuisine in the main dining room to the casual convenience of the Windjammer Cafe, Independence of the Seas has a variety of dining experiences. In addition, the cruise ship offers low-fat ShipShape Day Spa menus, kids' menus and, if you arrange in advance, kosher menus.
- Main Dining Rooms: feature complimentary, multicourse dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Chops Grille: a steakhouse that also requires one low cover charge
- Giovanni's Table: an Italian restaurant available for lunch and dinner at an additional charge
- Johnny Rockets: a ‘50s-style diner that features servers who double as entertainers, and is an additional cost.
- The Cupcake Cupboard: a vintage-style gourmet bakery with 30 types of cupcakes for an additional charge
- Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream: offers a variety of ice cream flavors and toppings for an additional charge
- More complimentary options including Windjammer Cafe, Jade Sushi, Sorrento's Pizza and Cafe Promenade for coffee and pastries/snacks
- Room service: Late-night service charge applies to room service orders between midnight and 5 am
From sunrise to sunset, there's something exciting for you to do on board Independence of the Seas. Try the rock-climbing wall, or work out with one of the fitness trainers. How about a swim or a relaxing massage? Better yet, try your luck at Caribbean Stud Poker, attend an art auction, or dance in a nightclub. There are even supervised activities for kids.
Sports & fitness
Don't wait until you get to your destination. Get your endorphin rush on the Sports Deck, where you can play basketball or volleyball or climb the rock wall. Take a spinning class, or enjoy a yoga class with an ocean view.
With so much to do on board, plus countless adventures on land, remember to take time for yourself at the Vitality Spa. Treat yourself to a pedicure or facial, or go for something you've never tried before, like a seaweed wrap or aroma stone therapy massage. What seems fun and extravagant, is actually a pathway to your own personal well-being.
Enjoy the excitement of a winning hand at poker or a slot machine paying off, and try your luck in the Las Vegas-style casino on board. Casino Royale has games for all levels of players. There are onboard lessons for novice players and tournaments for the more advanced. The casino is open whenever you are sailing, so stop in and try your luck!
Shops & galleries
Whether you want to buy a T-shirt for your niece or a sculpture for your art collection, there are all kinds of shops and galleries on board. There are also art galleries, art auctions and even activities such as wine tastings.
Independence of the Seas offers exciting programs for guests of all ages, starting at just six months old. From six to 36 months of age, infants and their parents are invited to participate in the Fisher Price Aqua Babies and Aqua Tots Programs. Developed by Fisher Price exclusively for Royal Caribbean International, these activities are hosted by trained youth staff. A parent or caregiver must accompany children during activity sessions.
Kids from 3 to 17 can participate in the complimentary Adventure Ocean Youth Program. Adventure Ocean was specially designed to blend educational activities with just plain fun.
- Aqua Babies ages six to 18 months: Parents and babies enjoy special themes each day involving music, toys and learning activities.
- Aqua Tots ages 18 to 36 months: Delightful themes for parents and toddlers to share reinforce early learning and natural curiosity.
- Aquanauts ages three to five years: Potty-trained kids from 3 to 5 years of age can play games, color and even become certified Jr. Adventure Scientists.
- Explorers ages six to eight years: Kids 6 to 8 years of age can join parties, compete for prizes, make kites and masks, and even learn to make gummy candies.
- Voyagers ages nine to 11 years: Kids 9 to 11 years of age can take a backstage tour, play List-o-Rama and even learn a new sport like Gagaball.
- Guests ages 12-17 years: Navigators 12-17 years of age can play games and sports, join parties and contests. They can also hang out at Fuel, the teen-only club; the Living Room, a teen lounge, and the Back Deck, a private outdoor area for teens.
Live entertainment is available for guests looking to see a contemporary musical stage production or catch a live band. Guests can also be a part of the fun with ballroom dancing lessons, ice-skating or miniature golf. Other entertaining highlights include the FlowRider surf simulator and the full-sized boxing ring.
Bars, lounges & clubs
Dance the night away to hot Latin rhythms, watch a live band play your favorite song, laugh with a comedian or enjoy a cocktail with some new friends in the ship's bars, lounges and discos.
- Schooner Bar: Relax and enjoy the warm atmosphere of Royal Caribbean's signature nautical-themed bar. The Schooner Bar often features live piano music at night. Pull up a seat and sing along.
- Pubs: You'll think you've popped across the pond as you lift a pint of ale in the authentic English pub, Dog & Badger. Sample the wide variety of imported beers and ales.
- Vintages: This wine bar serves up different varietals to please even the pickiest palate.
- Nightclubs: Dance the night away in the onboard nightclubs and lounges such as the Latin-themed Boleros lounge.
How about you? Have you cruised on Independence of the Seas? What did you think?
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
If you're interested in a cruise on Independence of the Seas, contact a Cruiseable travel advocate at 1-877-322-3773 or by email. We can usually offer a better deal than you can get by contacting the cruise line directly.
Top highlights on this ship
- Relaxing spa treatments at Vitality Spa
- Four pools in adults-only Solarium
- 30 types of cupcakes from the Cupcake Cupboard
- Broadway-style entertainment in the Main Theater