On a cruise ship
CruiseClout score: 95.0
Le Bougainville: Ponant expedition ship arrives in 2019
Featuring innovative and environmentally friendly equipment, elegantly designed cabins, spacious suites with large windows and lounge areas that open onto the outside, Le Bougainville is an upcoming luxury expedition yacht from France-based Ponant cruise line that boasts just 92 cabins and suites. The ship launches in 2019.
Le Bougainville's sleek design allows access to smaller ports for exploration of hidden gems not accessible to larger vessels. Featuring two restaurants, two lounges including an open-air poolside bar, a theater, fitness center, spa and plenty of private space for rest, reflection and relaxation, this lovely ship will offer an unparalleled cruising experience.
As the third ship in Ponant's new Explorers Class, Le Bougainville will embody the atmosphere that is the cruise line’s hallmark: a subtle blend of refinement, intimacy and comfort. Le Bougainville will follow the launch of its twin sister ships, Le Laperouse and Le Champlain.
Where Le Bougainville sails
Le Bougainville will sail expedition routes to far-flung corners of the globe.
Ponant's new expedition vessels are designed for high-end expedition voyages in Oceania, South America, Amazon's Orinoco River, Papua New Guinea, Costa Rica and the Indian Ocean. They will introduce passengers to regional wildlife and local cultures with the help of onboard naturalists.
Dining on board
Modern French cuisine will be a centerpiece of the new ship. Dining venues include:
- A restaurant on deck 3, that seats 70 in a relaxed atmosphere. The venue will serve grilled meats, along with various salads and desserts.
- At the rear of deck 4, passengers will find a sprawling 2,800-square-foot panoramic restaurant, capable of accommodating all passengers in single sitting. This venue, with an opening to the outside, will feature a buffet of salads, cheeses and desserts. The attentive crew provides table service for hot meals.
Le Bougainville will be equipped with a multi-sensory underwater space called Blue Eye.
Le Bougainville will boast an assortment of lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for adults, teens and children, including:
- A retractable marina water sports platform, used only when the ship is anchored and the sea is calm
- The Atrium, a two-deck-high open-floor area featuring a chandelier with Swarovski crystals
- A 2,150-square-foot Main Lounge with a large LED screen and floor to ceiling windows. Evening entertainment there will feature live performances by a resident singer and pianist and an art auction once per Le Bougainville cruise.
- A 188-seat Theatre for music and dance shows
- Wellness Centre offering a Spa, Balneo Room, Hammam, Massage Room, Beauty Corner, Hair Salon, Shower Room, Relaxation Room and spacious terrace
- Fitness center with panoramic windows
- Leisure Area offering a playroom for small kids playroom as well as Internet stations
- A swimming pool with luxury loungers
- Panoramic Lounge & Bar with an Internet corner, grand piano, library, Panoramic Terrace and Panoramic Bar, the ship’s late-night disco
- Sun Deck with bar, luxury loungers, padded chairs and deck games, including shuffleboard, golf driving net and 9-hole mini-golf
Le Bougainville features two standard cabin categories: Prestige and Deluxe, both at 205 square feet. Suites range from 291 to 484 square feet and feature large windows and lounge areas that open onto the outside. Privilege Suites have a bathtub and can hold up to four people. Grand Deluxe Suites also have bathtubs and can accommodate two passengers.
All cabins have balconies, air conditioning, two twins or king-size bed, shower, mini-bar, flat-screen TV with satellite TV and video on demand, a desk with stationery, safe, hair dryer, bathrobes and French bath products. Each cabin is outfitted with 110/220-volt outlets and Internet access. Room service is available 24 hours per day.
Each ship in the new expedition class pays homage to a famous French explorer — in this case, Louis Antoine de Bougainville, who took part in the American Revolutionary War against Britain.
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
If you're interested in a cruise on Le Bougainville, contact a Cruiseable travel advocate at 1-877-322-3773 or by email. You'll get a better deal than you can get by contacting the cruise line directly.
How about you? Are you planning to cruise on one of Ponant's new luxury expedition yachts? Let us know!
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!