On a cruise ship
Norwegian Star: The original in freestyle cruising
The ship where Norwegian's Freestyle Cruising mantra all began, Norwegian Star has been at sea since 2001, offering a large variety in dining options, lounges from the popular to the secluded, and a childcare program that is top notch.
This 2,348-passenger ship has a variety of rooms, ranging from regular staterooms to the three-bedroom Garden Villas, and plenty of activities. This is a very youthful ship, filled with activities ranging from karaoke to cocktails, so be prepared to be on the go from the minute you come on board.
Who will enjoy sailing on Norwegian Star
Although there are a variety of ages due to the economical nature of the cruise, this ship appeals mainly to families due to the extensive childcare services on board.
Where Norwegian Star sails
Norwegian Star sails the Mediterranean, Northern Europe, South America and Antarctica.
Top choices for dining
Aqua, one of two main dining venues on Norwegian Star seats 334 people and is located midship on deck 6. Cool Mediterranean hues accent the contemporary surroundings. Starters include crab dip, fruit and soups. Entrees include beef, fish, poultry and vegetarian choices. It's open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Versailles, the second main dining venue, seats 491 people and can get a bit loud. The decor? King Louis XVI would approve: rich, gilt-laden Renaissance era themes. Starters include French onion soup, baked shrimp and Greek salad. Entrees run to New York strip steak, roasted salmon and vegetarian dishes. Versailles is located aft on deck 6.
Ginza Asian Restaurant
Whether you're looking for Japanese, Thai and Chinese cuisine, you're sure to find it here. In addition to its normal offerings, there is also a sushi and sashimi bar as well as the Teppanyaki Room - a truly authentic Asian dining experience, where you sit at a large table and food is prepared right in front of you in an entertaining fashion.
La Cucina Italian Restaurant
This casual Italian eatery reflects the feel of a village Trattoria or traditional farmhouse kitchen. Enjoy pizza and pasta surrounded by a romantic ambiance.
Barbequed meats are carved tableside in this Brazilian steakhouse as you control how much you want with the Moderno Green and Red Chip — green for go and red for stop. In addition to the wide variety of meat, there's a large selection of salads, sliced meats and traditional accompanying dishes from the salad bar.
The Blue Lagoon food court is open around the clock, with food freshly prepared as you order it. No matter what you're craving at what time of night, you can find it here 24/7.
- Band on the Run: If you miss the music of the '70s, check out this review. The Norwegian Production Cast and Show Orchestra pays tribute to this time the melodies of Styx to the disco sounds of Donna Summer and rock of Queen.
- Comedy Variety: When's the last time you guffawed? From standup comedy to unicycle-riding jugglers, you're invited for an evening of laughter in the Stardust Theater.
- Elements: Appreciate the four elements of Earth, Air, Water and Fire in this spectacle of music and dance.
- Presumed Murdered Luncheon: A take on the murder mystery dinner, the Second City comedy troupe partners with crime novelist Scott Turow to create a hilarious who-done-it.
- Shout! The Mod Musical: Hear classic tunes like "Downtown," "Wishin' and Hopin'," "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me," "To Sir, With Love" and plenty more as you travel through the show with five fierce ladies making their way through the 1960s.
- Second City: Chicago's legendary improv troupe Second City is sure to delight with sketches on topics ranging from current events and life on the cruise ship.
Bars & lounges
- Barong Juice Bar: This Juice Bar offers a wide range of juices and smoothies to choose from after a good workout.
- Bier Garten: This Bavarian delight offers premium beers as well as German eats during the afternoon, ranging from pretzels to bratwurst.
- Gatsby's Champagne Bar: This bar offers premium champagne and vodka, caviar, pate, and foie gras in a cooly sophisticated environment.
- Java Cafe: For that double, vanilla, extra hot latte with extra foam, the Java Cafe offers a wide variety of specialty coffees, teas, pastries and cookies.
- Moderno Bar: Take a sip of one your favorite drinks at the Moderno Bar.
- Spinnaker Lounge: This lounge features not only a full bar but also a dance floor.
- Star Bar: Take in your favorite cocktail in a '30s ambience.
- The Red Lion Pub: This traditional English Pub featuring English pool, large-screen TV's, Fish n' Chips, and proper beer on tap.
- Topsiders Bar & Grill: Topsider's Bar & Grill is on deck near the Oasis Pool, The Grill, and two hot tubs. All you need now is a deck chair.
- Wine Cellar: Go wine tasting with a wide selection of wines to sample and purchase.
Spa & fitness
- Barong Fitness Center: There are numerous ways to stay in shape while on-board. The Barong Fitness Center is open from 6am to 11pm with a full-service gym and aerobics/fitness classes offered daily.
- Basketball/Volleyball Court: Shoot hoops, join a pick up game or play volleyball at the enclosed, outdoor Basketball/Volleyball Court.
- Golf Driving Net: Take your clubs out for a drive at one of two Golf Driving Nets onboard.
- Indoor Lap Pool and Jacuzzi: Get your daily swim in at the Indoor Lap Pool, which also includes a Thermal Suite.
- Jogging/Walking Track: Get in your daily walk while you're at sea.
- Mandara Spa: A full service beauty salon and spa offers a wide range of treatments to rejuvenate.
There are several levels of staterooms, including the regular, mini-suites and suites. For those more in the luxury mode, there are the Garden Villas and Owner's Suites, as well as a variety of Penthouse suites.
All staterooms have a TV, refrigerator, safe, duvet, bathroom with shower and tea and coffee facilities. Most lower beds are convertible to a queen size bed. All suites and penthouses feature floor-to-ceiling glass doors with private balcony.
How about you? Have you sailed on Norwegian Star? We'd like to hear all about about your experience! Please share in the comments below.
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
If you're interested in a cruise on Norwegian Star, contact a Cruiseable travel advocate at 1-877-322-3773 or by email. We can usually offer a better deal than you can get by contacting the cruise line directly.
Top highlights on this ship
- Bring your own chopsticks and enjoy Asian cuisine, from sushi to hibachi to Thai and Chinese
- Extensive childcare services on board make cruiseing with the wee ones a cinch
- Celebrate like the famous F. Scott Fitzgerald character at Gatsby's Champagne Bar