On a cruise ship
CruiseClout score: 95.0
Statendam: A grand ship full of art & state-of-the-art amenities
Grandly proportioned and recently enhanced, Holland America's ms Statendam offers an onboard experience defined by spacious comfort, and the latest Signature of Excellence features and amenities. Upgrades begin with new fixtures and soft goods in staterooms and bathrooms. Staterooms offer a generous amount of personal space and many feature commanding ocean views with private verandas.
Recent enhancements include remodeled public spaces, updated lounges and an exciting new entertainment destination called 'Mix' featuring three distinctly themed bars. Together they provide the ultimate place to socialize and be entertained.
Exhibiting a theme of historical Dutch life and exploration, Statendam features more than $2 million worth of art and rare artifacts displayed throughout the ship. The Van Gogh Theater is a work of art in itself, commemorating Dutch artist Vincent Van Gogh's paintings "The Starry Night" and "Irises."
At the heart of Statendam, a three-story atrium showcases an elaborate 26-foot-high sculpture titled "Fountain of the Siren." Luxuriously appointed and uniquely refined, Holland America Line's Statendam provides the ultimate onboard experience with her graceful combination of classic cruise ship features, state-of-the-art amenities, and sophisticated ambiance.
Who will like sailing on Statendam?
Passengers are primarily aged 60-plus, with more families during school vacations and holiday periods. On Alaska cruises, the cruise line offers special shore excursions for kids, attracting more families during the summer.
Where Statendam sails
Statendam sails in Hawaii, South & Central America, including the Panama Canal, and Mexico. For Pacific Island fun, try the Hawaii, Tahiti, and Marquesas cruise embarking from San Diego with stops in Lahaina, Maui; Bora Bora, Moorea and Nuku Hiva.
Food doesn't make a cruise, but surely fine cuisine enhances your onboard experience. Bountiful buffets and dress-up dinners, hors d'oeuvre on your veranda or a picnic on the beach are just a few of the dining options awaiting on your vacation aboard Holland America Line.
- Rotterdam Dining Room: features impeccable service and an extensive wine list. Five-course menus include continental cuisine, vegetarian and low-carb options.
- Pinnacle Grill: This intimate reservations-only venue offers an elegant, sophisticated dining experience. Featuring premium Sterling Silver beef, inspired seafood dishes and many select wines rated "Excellent" by Wine Spectator — as well as distinctive Bvlgari china, Riedel stemware and Frette linens.
- Lido Restaurant: offers a relaxed ambiance for all three meals and features a variety of fresh, cooked-to-order specialties.
Take the plunge and behold, thrill seeking, entertainment and more await on a Statendam cruise. No matter how you plan on spending your night, the Statendam is well equipped to accommodate. If you're looking for the relaxed scenery of a lounge, you'll find plenty. If you're in the mood for the mingling bar atmosphere, you'll feel completely comfortable in the bars and lounges.
- 249-seat Wajang Theater
- Half Moon and Hudson Room seating a total of 150
- 600-seat Van Gogh Show Lounge
Choose the blissful pampering of a facial. Let the trained bodywork of a massage therapist soothe your muscles while working fragrant oils into your skin. Enjoy therapeutic water treatments as you steam in a thermal suite or bathe in exotic herbs. All this while cruising to exotic destinations and enjoying other Holland America's Statendam indulgences.
- Card Room
- Puzzle Room
- Erasmus Library
- Fitness center
- Beauty salon/barber shop
- Massage, sauna and steam rooms
- Juice bar
- Jogging track
- Swimming pools
- The Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine Magazine: a state-of-the-art demonstration kitchen offering interactive gourmet cooking lessons taught by Master Chefs or culinary guests.
- Explorations Cafe, powered by The New York Times: a comfortable, coffee house environment where you can browse through an extensive library, surf the Internet and check email or simply read the morning paper.
- Van Gogh Show Lounge: features talented vocalists, dancers, illusionists, comedians and variety acts.
- Crow's Nest: offers sweeping 270 degree views during the day, and a hip, fashionable nightclub each evening.
- Spa & Salon: features heavenly beauty and wellness rituals. Enjoy a facial, hot stone massage, steam in a thermal suite and have your hair and nails done for a special evening.
The Statendam features a penthouse suite and 28 suites. Each of the 149 suites and deluxe staterooms has a private veranda, a VCR, whirlpool bath and minibar. All staterooms are equipped with sofas, hairdryers, individually controlled air conditioning, telephone with computerized wakeup service, multi-channel music system and closed circuit television.
In each room the beds are convertible from one queen size to two singles. In addition, six staterooms are equipped to accommodate physically challenged passengers.
- Club HAL: a dedicated youth facilities and activities for kids ages 3 - 12; activities are supervised and age appropriate.
- The Loft and The Oasis: designed exclusively for teens (13 - 17) to have fun, socialize and hang out with people their own age.
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
How about you? Have you sailed on ms Statendam? We would love to hear about your experience — please share!
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Top highlights on this ship
- Gaze upon the mermaids encircling the "Fountain of the Siren" in the three-story atrium.
- Get your fix of the fabulous works of Van Gogh, the Dutch artist is showcased on the Statendam.