On a cruise ship
CruiseClout score: 95.0
Ryndam: Explore the majesty of a bygone era
Grandly proportioned and recently enhanced, Holland America Line's ms Ryndam offers an onboard experience defined by spacious comfort, and the latest Signature of Excellence features and amenities. Upgrades begin with new fixtures and soft goods in staterooms and bathrooms. Staterooms offer a generous amount of personal space and many feature commanding ocean views with private verandas.
Recent enhancements include remodeled public spaces, updated lounges and an exciting new entertainment destination called 'Mix' featuring three distinctly themed bars. The combination of choices caters to a variety of styles and tastes.
With a Dutch worldwide exploration theme, the decor of Ryndam features art and artifacts from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. At the heart of ms Ryndam a three-story atrium features a monumental fountain created by sculptor Gilbert Lebigre in Pietrasanta, Italy.
Guests aboard this spacious ship encounter elegance at every turn, from a string quartet serenade in the splendid Rotterdam Dining Room to the two-deck Vermeer Show Lounge. Luxuriously appointed and uniquely refined, Holland America Line's ms Ryndam seeks to provide a stellar onboard experience with her graceful combination of classic cruise ship features, state-of-the-art amenities, and sophisticated ambiance.
Who will like sailing on Ryndam?
Ryndam appeals to well-educated, travel buffs and age tends to skew older. Families are more prevalent on holiday weeks, as well as younger singles and couples when cruises include more active ports like Puerto Vallarta. Weddings, bachelorette parties and family reunions are all party of the passenger makeup.
Where the Ryndam sails
Catch some sun on the Ryndam as it sails the Southern and Western Caribbean in winter, stopping at Martinique, St Vincent, Barbados, Half Moon Cay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Northern European cruises in summer include a "Midnight Sun and Norwegian Fjords" cruise that takes you north of the Arctic Circle to Honningsvag and Tromsø.
Dining aboard Holland America's Ryndam is a great pleasure. Join highly skilled chefs as they prepare epic meals for your dining enjoyment. Prepare your tastebuds and don't forget to document and savor the delectable fare.
- Rotterdam Dining Room: features impeccable service and an extensive wine list. Five-course menus include continental cuisine, vegetarian and low-carb options. The room seats 657.
- Pinnacle Grill: This intimate reservations-only venue offers an elegant, sophisticated dining experience. Featuring premium Sterling Silver beef, inspired seafood dishes and many select wines rated "Excellent" by Wine Spectator — as well as distinctive Bvlgari china, Riedel stemware and Frette linens.
- Lido Restaurant: offers a relaxed ambiance for all three meals and features a variety of fresh, cooked-to-order specialties. There are 403 seats.
Other dining options include:
- King's Room and the Queen's Room -- Two private dining areas, each seat 44
- 37-seat Java Cafe
Entertainment & activities
Challenge yourself and explore new horizons on board and feel free to indulge in whichever activity floats your boat. Embark on a big puzzle or maybe just decide to snuggle up with a great book of your choice, or one found in the Library. Perhaps you'll enjoy a relaxing day receiving a massage or soaking in the steam room, whatever you need there is an activity or 'in-activity' waiting for you.
- Card Room
- Puzzle Corner
- Delft Library
- Ocean Spa fitness center
- Beauty salon/barber shop
- Massage, sauna and steam rooms and juice bar
- Swimming pools
If you're looking for the relaxed scenery of a lounge, you'll find plenty. If you're in the mood for the mingling bar atmosphere, you'll feel at home in the many watering holes on board.
- 600-seat Vermeer Show Lounge
- 249-seat Wajang Theater
- Half Moon and Hudson Room seating a total of 150
- Ocean Bar
- Piano Bar
- Explorers Lounge
- Crow's Nest, a combined observation lounge and nightclub on Sports Deck overlooking the bow
Ryndam features a penthouse suite and 28 suites. Each of the 149 suites and deluxe staterooms has a private veranda, a VCR, whirlpool bath and mini-bar. All staterooms are equipped with sofas, hairdryers, individually controlled air conditioning, telephone with computerized wake-up service, multi-channel music system and closed circuit television.
In each room the beds are convertible from one queen size to two singles. 52 staterooms have connecting doors. Six staterooms are equipped to accommodate physically challenged guests.
- The Culinary Arts Center, presented by Food & Wine Magazine: a state-of-the-art demonstration kitchen offering interactive gourmet cooking lessons taught by Master Chefs or culinary guests.
- Explorations Cafe, powered by The New York Times: a comfortable, coffee house environment where you can browse through an extensive library, surf the Internet and check email or simply read the morning paper.
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon: features heavenly beauty and wellness rituals. Enjoy a facial, hot stone massage, steam in a thermal suite and have your hair and nails done for a special evening.
- Vermeer Show Lounge: features talented vocalists, dancers, illusionists, comedians and variety acts.
- Crow's Nest: offers sweeping 270 degree views during the day, and a hip, fashionable nightclub each evening.
- Club HAL: a dedicated youth facilities and activities for kids ages 3 - 12; activities are supervised and age appropriate.
- The Loft and The Oasis: designed exclusively for teens (13 - 17) to have fun, socialize and hang out with people their own age.
Interested in a cruise on this ship?
How about you? Have you sailed on ms Ryndam? We would love to hear about your experience — please share!
Help improve this article. See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Top highlights on this ship
- Gaze at the towering Gilbert Lebigre fountain in the three-story atrium.
- Carpe Diem, make the time to tackle a puzzle in the Puzzle Corner, something you've always wanted to do.
- Stand on your stateroom veranda and watch the world go by.