On a cruise ship
Costa Luminosa: Celestial, sophisticated Italian cruises
Before Costa Luminosa launched in 2009, designers took the ship’s name to heart. With vivid colors, a vast array of glittering lights (including Murano glass chandeliers) and expanses where the sun — or moon — can shine in, Luminosa appears luminous, indeed.
At 965 feet long and 106 feet wide, Costa Luminosa can accommodate 2,260 passengers in 1,130 cabins. Staterooms and public spaces are artfully outfitted in oranges, golds and browns. There are touches of brilliant purples and iridescent fabrics, and artwork is everywhere. The effect is that the ship is bright and cheerful yet with a contemporary, sophisticated aesthetic giving it appeal to all ages.
Who will like sailing on Costa Luminosa
Sports enthusiasts will be drawn to the sophisticated golf simulator or Grand Prix simulator, while runners, walkers and roller skaters should pack their appropriate foot gear for the outdoor track. The spa features nearly 27,000 square feet of opulent pampering for spa lovers. Overall Luminosa offers a fun vibe with its bold colors and eye-catching design and there's a lot to recommend it for families, including areas just for kids and teens. While the shorter Caribbean cruises in the spring have strong appeal for younger passengers, the longer transatlantic cruise to Italy in late March and 98-night world cruise in the fall should have great appeal for retirees.
Where Costa Luminosa sails
Home port: Miami until early spring 2015; St. Petersburg (Russia), Stockholm (Sweden) and Savona (Italy) the rest of the year.
Destinations: Caribbean cruises from Miami include the Bahamas, Mexico and Honduras; in March the Luminosa heads across the Atlantic to Savona, Italy and Western Mediterranean cruises. During the summer she cruises in northern Europe and then around the Baltic and Russia, sailing out of Stockholm and St. Petersburg. In the fall of 2015, Costa Luminosa sails from Savona on a 98-night world cruise before returning to Europe.
Dining & lounges
Costa Luminosa has four restaurants, giving passengers options as to price, decor and menu focus.
- Taurus Restaurant is the main dining room an offers European fare in a glamorous, two-level setting.
- Andromeda Restaurant is the ship's buffet eatery.
- Samsara focuses on healthy cuisine and is complimentary to passengers in Samsara cabins and suites while others are charged a fee.
- Club Luminosa features an open kitchen and serves fresh fish and steaks; additional fee and reservations required.
- Among the 11 bars and lounges are a cigar bar and a coffee & chocolate bar.
Luminosa has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to keeping passengers engaged and entertained, starting with its nearly 27,000-square-foot spa that includes a Thalassotherapy pool, Turkish bath, solarium, sauna and a full menu of pampering treatments. Other entertaining options include:
- Fitness room
- Golf simulator
- Grand Prix simulator
- Putting green
- Outdoor jogging/roller skating track
- Four pools, including one just for kids
- Children's club
- Teen zone
- 4D cinema
- Three-level, 800-seat theater
This ship features a high number of cabins with balconies — 772 out of the total 1,130. A number of cabins and suites have direct access to the spa, putting spa lovers just steps away from treatments and services (really, who wants to trudge a long distance after a relaxing massage?). Among the cabin features:
- Flatscreen interactive LCD TVs with video and movies on demand
- Satellite TV
- 24-hour room service
- 220/115 volts
- Choice of pillow (in suites)
- Bathrobe & slippers (in suites)
- Wellness shower filter (Samsara cabins and suites)
- Aroma diffusers (Samsara cabins and suites)
- Healthy minibar selections (Samsara cabins and suites)
How about you? Have you sailed on Costa Luminosa? We'd like to hear all about about your experience! Please share in the comments below.
See anything wrong? What did we overlook? Be a co-creator!
Published March 2015
Top highlights on this ship
- An expansive and opulent spa
- An excellent collection of artwork, including 288 original works and 4,733 prints on board.
- Eleven bars, including a cigar lounge and a coffee & chocolate bar.
- A vivid and appealing design aesthetic throughout.